Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snapped Bolts

ZeroBlade

Got a new wing 2day from Celica Breakers in the same colour as my car, so it won't need a repaint, bonus :thumsbup:

neway. spent all sodding afternoon removing the old wing, now i only got one bolt left that just won't come off :ffs: . all the edge is rusted and just fell apart, so now theres nothing that fits round it to pull it off, am i going to havta try & saw it or something?

its the one holding the on the bit of trim at the front wheelarch, the first bolt of the 2.

also theres a few where the heads snapped leaving leaving the thread bit in the hole... if i drill these out what do u recommend i do to secure the wing back in?

i'm thinking i'l havta purchase a drill bit to try and re-thread the holes, they buy new bolts/screws etc that fit.

Ne suggestions on this?

gotta say it seems the same few screws r problamatic on the 2. cos i compared the ones that were rusted on mine to the wing i got of TCB and they matched.

cheers :thumbsup:

-Z

The only way mate is to get a drill bit the same size as the hole that the bolt is through. drill it out then re-thread the hole with then next size up of self tapping screw.

insert the screw carefully so as to get it straight. then take it back out again this will put a thread in the hole that u made with the drill bit, then get same size screws and bobs you uncle.

probebly a little more work than you wanted mate but it will be worth it if you do it right. :thumbsup:

Machine Mart or Frosts (www.frost.co.uk) sell items that will help here.

Basically, they are just like reverse thread screws. Drill a pilot hole into the broken bolt (size stated with the remover) and screw the remover into the hole. As the remover has a reversed thread on it, it will turn into the bolt until it jams. Then you just keep on turning and the bolt comes out. They only cost a few pounds each, various sizes available etc. It's really the only option that doesn't mean rethreading the hole.

Rich

They only cost a few pounds each, various sizes available etc. It's really the only option that doesn't mean rethreading the hole.

Dooh didnt think of that one :!Removed!:

Dooh didnt think of that one :!Removed!:

I just got the latest Frost catalogue in the post yesterday and had a good read at work today. Otherwise I'd have forgotten too. :thumbsup:

Hey Zero, check out my New Topic man, your topic of the snapped bolts gave me inspiration!! German quality 1- Jap quality 0. :thumbsup:

aite had a read thru, thanks for the ideas guys!

I may hav to go old fashioned & go with gus' idea cos i can't wait til next week for the bits off that site. need 2 go bak up 2 newc on sun.

The wing can stay on without being bolted on by the snapped ones, it basically 3 of them in the bonnect bit, and one under the wheel arch, so that gives me some time.

oh and one on the side of the headlight, not sure about this yet, but i think i'll be ok w. that one!

thnx for the frost thing 2 m8 :thumbsup: i never knew u could get stuff like that.

MisteR 2: will do pal :)

thnx fellas,

-Z

Is there a Machine Mart near you? I'm pretty sure I've seen them there too.

(can't find my Catalog at the mo. )

Rich

i dunno m8, tbh i've never heard of machine mart (sounds american <_< )

just finished up. got rid of that last one by sawing the %$(er off!

the car's drivable again now. and the wings held on fine without the missing bolts at the top. i'll havta do the rest during the week when i can get that thingy to remove the bolt shafts.

-Z

i dunno m8, tbh i've never heard of machine mart (sounds american <_< )

Head office in Nottingham I think. Branches throughout the UK

sweet there's one here in leeds, and they're open while half five on sat, i guess i'll nip down now :)

-Z

yup that's it m8, i whent and bought that.

only problem now is i don't have ne replacement bolts, doh!

heh mite aswell go about removing them heads neway, bang the bolts in 2moror morning, then a nice wash, t-cut, & polish is in order :)

thnx for this m8, i know this is gonna come in handy as i'm working on nina, god knows how many screw / bolts i'll be snappin in the future.

hopefully none of the one's i've opened up once as i lubed em up real good b4 i put them back in, wd-40 is awsome stuff :D

-Z

wd-40 is awsome stuff :D

-Z

Plus Gas is even better.

Spray it on and leave it overnight. everything comes off then,

Rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links