Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres Again ....

Chippy01

My Gen2 T-Spirit is due it's NCT (MOT) soon, and in checking things out I discovered that my tyres are getting close to the wear bars and may fail because of that.

Did some phoning around (as you do), looking for a decent tyre, not a cheap Chinese ditch-finder, and not to be fleeced either.

My options appear to be either :-

GOODYEAR EXCELLENCE

or

DUNLOP SPORT 3000A

As both tyres are working out at the same price, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience of either type, and what their opinions are of them?

Also, if it was your choice, and you only had the above two to choose from, which would you pick?

Goodyear Excellence (I've had Sport 3000's before - but on a 5 series - and they didn't last very long, went with Michelins after that)

I am not an expert but my understanding is there is a trade off between softer compounds that grip more but wear comparatively quickly, and hard compounds that last longer but grip the road less. Isn't this why winter tyres need replacing more often than regular tyres if left on all year?

I am happy to be corrected :)

Steve

I have experience of neither tyre.

Looking on blackcircle.com, if you really are limiting yourself to those two, and assuming you are replacing with like for like within specification 195 55R16 V87 then on paper based on efficiency, and noise, I'd choose the Goodyear Excellence.

If it was for myself, I'd pay 20 quid more per tyre and get the Michelin Energy Saver+.

I mention 195s because I can recall some very sarcastic posts claiming that I was incapable of the searching the internet, if you are prepared to switch tyre sizes I think up to 205s and tell your insurance company then you can get cheaper tyres as they are a more popular size apparently.

Bear in mind that under the joint venture arrangement between Goodyear and Sumitomo, Goodyear makes all the Goodyear/Sumitomo branded tyres for the European market - so there will be some similarities between the Goodyear Excellence and the Dunlop Sport 3000

You are spot on there Steve

Don't you just hate it when you ask a question and everyone says you asked the wrong one?

But for me I would only buy a low rolling resistance tyre for a Prius (and in my case, a Gen 2 T-Spirit, I plumped for Michelin Energy Savers recently).

Otherwise your mpg will be impacted, although I agree you do have to do the sums to see if that is cancelled out by the price premium. It worked out for me.

Thanks for the replies. At the moment I am leaning towards the GoodYears, but I'll keep looking around to see if I can get some LRR tyres locally.

@ timberwolf, can you direct me to your thread about different sizes of tyres that may fit my Gen2? As you said in your post, a different size may draw more of a choice because of popularity, (providing they are compatible, that is)

FYI .....

Michelin Energy Saver+ 205/55/16/91V

Blackcircles - 86.63 (fitted)

Camskill - 73.70 (+ Michelin free fuel gift card, until 30/04)

You may find this post useful (it is within the same topic that timberwolf has provided the link of).

If only interested in Goodyear / Dunlop, then

Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance

or

Dunlop Sport Blueresponse

appear to be better options (than the two listed in the opening post).

Similar pricing but better grip / efficiency / noise level.

If only interested in Goodyear / Dunlop,

It's not that I'm only interested in Goodyear or Dunlop, it's all dependant on what local tyre shops stock.

Also buying online is kinda iffy, as the locals fleece ya for mounting and balancing. The last time I was looking they quoted me €25 per corner to fit online buys!!!

I recently fitted a toyo nanoenergy 2 "A" rated tyre which was mail ordered and my local tyre centre, fitted it, revalved and ballanced and disposed of the old tyre for £11.50. Happy days. If the choice were down to Dunlop or Goodyear I would just buy the cheapest because i have never had a bad dunlop or a bad goodyear.

I'm still reading timberwolf. NCT is tomorrow.

I can't find the answer to a couple of questions though.
We all know that car speedos read on the slow side (speedo reads 60mph, actual speed is 57mph, or something like that. GPS units usually confirm this).
What is the speedo varience between 195/55 and 205/55 width of tyres? If OEM's are 195/55's what is the true speed when the speedo reads 60mph, and also what would be true speed if running 205/55's when the speedo reads 60mph?

And how would the larger tyre effect fuel economy?

As far as I'm aware the simplest method would be to check your speedometer reading against a GPS device to get an idea as to how much your speedometer over-reads when showing 60mph. Then do a calculation to determine how much your speedo is over-reading by. Think this will be the closest you're going to get.

You can adjust the tyre calculator I posted by altering the 'Difference' and 'MPH/KPH' boxes below the table so you can show the effect of different sizes of tyre at 60mph instead of 70mph.

If you're fitting a wider tyre, then there will be a larger contact area between the road and the tyre which may affect fuel economy very slightly. If fuel economy is that important, then make sure the tyres you get score highly in the fuel efficiency/rolling resistance category - see http://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling/tyre-label and http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/future-tyre-labelling?xtor=SEC-3030-GOO-[grading_(nbo)]--S-[eu%20tyre%20labelling]&gclid=CP-U-JXA6LYCFRTMtAod2BgA4A

Mine are due to be done soon. It has two nasty Chinese on the rear and two original Bridgestones now on the front. They are 43,000 miles on now. I'm going for Michelin Energy + and notice that a few on here have fitted them. What are they like for grip and especially noise? Experience views would be appreciated.

In 195/65 R15 V size, Michelin Energy Saver didn't score particularly well in the 2012 Which? test - scoring 49%.

The two Best Buys for this size were Vredstein Sportrac 3 scoring 69% and the Nokian V scoring 67%. 12 of the 13 tyres tested in this size scored 3/5 stars for noise, and one scored 2/5 stars.

The Michelins scored: 5/5 for dry braking, 4/5 for dry handling, 3/5 for wet braking/wet grip (straight)/wet grip (bends), 3/5 for noise, 4/5 for fuel use and 5/5 for wear.

The Vredsteins scored: 5/5, 4/5, 3/5, 5/5, 5/5, 3/5, 4/5 and 5/5 for the same categories.

The Nokians scored: 5/5, 4/5, 4/5, 4/5, 4/5, 3/5, 4/5 and 4/5 for the same categories.

My Prius T-Spirit has 17" wheels fitted with Michelin Premacy 215x45xWR17 tyres as standard...as i do not really want "boy racer" alloys fitted with expensive low profile tyres that carry a high speed rating...WR up to 168 mph...along with an inflated price, because, of the speed rating i recently bought a brand new set of 15" MSW alloy wheels fitted with Continental Premium contact5 tyres..195x65.HR15,with a higher profile for a better ride,these size wheels/tyres are standard on the T3 so i am keeping within the Toyota recommended sizes,i bought these on-line from Wheelbase and did a deal with the saleman for a price of £495.00 complete package, tyres fitted and balanced,+£25.00 delivered to my door by courier ,very well wrapped individually.The 17" Michelin premacy tyres are over £150.. each,so i now have a brand new set of very nice alloy wheels + tyres for around a £100 less than a set of tyres would have cost me,i see no point in paying over the odds prices for tyres with high speed ratings for cars that will do nowhere near the speed for the tyre...unless you want the wheels for aesthetic purpose of course...the 17" wheels/tyres now live in the loft in my garage...till i sell the Prius.The reason for me buying Continental is....i had them fitted to my Mercedes and BMW's,never had a problem,quiet,good grip, and got good mileage out of them too...i also fitted Conti's on my Honda Goldwing motorcycle last year...no probs there either. :D

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/15_Inch_MSW_19_Silver_Alloy_Wheels__2690

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Don't forget to tell your insurance company, if you haven't yet.

• Like 1

I think that the new tyre rating efficiency rating system for tyres rolling resistance, braking performance and noise takes a lot of the pain out of chosing the next tyres. I decided to go for an A rated roll resistance tyre which had a middle of the road C rating for wet grip and as far as noise is concerned I wasnt too bothered. So I ended up with the reasonably priced Toyo Nano energy 2 which is tested at 70Db. Which was a bit cheaper than the Mitchelin energy saver ( B rated RR, B rated wet grip and 70Db). So easy to compare.

Don't forget to tell your insurance company, if you haven't yet.

Thanks for that,but there really is no need to inform the insurance,the car is running on the required size wheels/tyres and not oversized ones...the only reason for notifying the insurance would be if i had bought some really expensive ones,then, i would take a photo of them and be prepared to pay the extra premium in case they were stolen..as it is now if the wheels WERE pinched they would just be obligated to replace them with the standard (and more expensive to replace)17 inch alloys/tyres that were fitted as standard..regards, paul........ :D

Your call, of course, but unless I've misread your post you've changed your wheel size from original spec. That's a material change, irrespective of more or less value, and some insurers won't care and others are just looking for wiggle.

Anyway, have a google for it and see what you think after that.

I know I'd tell them anyway.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links