Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Shocks When Getting Out Of Iq

redmini963

Hi all, just bought a used IQ from Toyota in Bath very nice little car , Ive only have it a few days and im getting electric shocks from the doors, I alos had a passenger getting out the car that got the shock treatment too. Is this a comment thing on the IQ's or have i just got a loose earth somewhere.

thanks in advance for your responce

Oh and it a 59 plate IQ3 with Sat Nav not the best sat nav ive ever used

I have these some times... to prevent it try to touche the metal part of your door before your put your foot on the street floor. It isn't a real solution but it will prevent you from getting shocks ;-)

I had the same problem with my stock seats. I have since covered them with leather and have no problems.

Very helpful information there Mike. My wife suffers from this a lot, I used to, but not recently, however, the tricks mentioned on the web page your link goes to is what I used to do, and even then sometimes it didn't work so well. One of my mates once got a shock and I saw the blue light from the static as he went to grab the door handle getting into the car. Whilst funny, I know it can hurt, so I only laughed a bit. This was in Riyadh, where the dryness of the air also caused issues to do with static. The funniest thing I saw to do with this was at a BBQ, when one of the waiters had his left ear touched by one of my mates and as his finger and thumb approached the ear, I saw the blue flash pass from fingers to ear lobe. That hurt, because he jumped a mile when he was shocked.

As for the possibility of a static shock causing an explosion from the gasses whilst fuelling up your car, very real. I used to refuel helicopters with rotors turning and it was essential to fit the earthing cable first as the static shock from a helicopter could kill you. Safety is not always the first thing on drivers minds when filling up with petrol is it? More often than not it's the outrageous cost of fuel. Wonder if learner drivers know about any of this stuff?

Full Leather, I also get them sometimes, seems to depend more on the shoes I'm wearing. You could get one of those anti-static strips you used to see many of them on cars in the 80s. Plastic strip, but with earth core and clamp to the underneath of the car. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_223959_langId_-1_categoryId_165659

The cables you can see in the photo's are for distributing the Battery negative around the car rather than relying on the cars chassis. Usually when installing high current devices like amplifiers. Its in a ring shape for equal distribution rather than random as "eddie currents " can build up on them and cause voltage drops at high bass notes. Some parts of the car are simply bolted together which is not a good electrical connection. Maybe for 5 amps or so but not 40 +. Either way nothing to do with static. Static is a product of a combination of seat covering material, clothing , footwear and air temperature (. More noticeable in summer) also lifting yourself out of your car and not sliding out will cause less voltage generation (not easy to lift yourself out). I have covered the seats in my car with leather using Mr T's leather kit and never wear nylon. Never get shocks. My studio chair is nylon covered. Plenty of shocks off that

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links