Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Issues With No Power, Having To Use Manual Entry

ladynat999

I bought a Toyota IQ2 (early 2010 reg) earlier on this year, however I have had the following issue happen about 6 times now.

I go to unlock my car in the morning (using the proximity keyfob) and find the door unlocked.

After pressing the start button, nothing. No power - as if the Battery has been disconnected. No lights on dash, dead.

I flipped the bonnet and had a look (not sure what I was hoping to find...I know nothing about cars) - put the bonnet back down and got back in the car.

Suddenly, the open door light came back on and I pressed the start button and the car started!!!

This has happened a number of times just like this!

This morning, something new happened. I went to open the door, but it would not open. Got my keys out and pressed the unlock button, still nothing.

Put the metal key in and unlocked manually - alarm starts to sound, I start panicking!!!!

I didn't even know the car had an alarm, it is 7:30am and I am now really embarrassed.

Got inside, frantically pressed all the buttons (yes, ALL the buttons...I panicked!) Held the key to the ignition and must have pressed the buttons because the alarm ceased.

The car then started.

What is going on?????

Please help!!! I can't find out what this is about anywhere and I don't want to pay Toyota to 'have a look at it' because I don't have any spare cash at the moment.

Is this normal or a fault???

Could be the fob Battery - Once you had opened the door the fob needs to transmit to the car you are sat in it for anything to work. This doesn't seem to be happening. However that wouldn't explain the open door light not working - so a bit of a mystery.

Despite your apparent reluctance - the quickest, easiest and possibly he cheapest option is to talk to a main dealer. Their diagnostics equipment may be able to read any fault codes and tell quite quickly what the problem is.

I know, but I simply can't afford the 90 odd quid they usually charge to more than likely tell you something that could have been fixed without diagnosis.
Ill try to replace the batteries in the fobs and see if that helps, then not, ill speak to the dealer next month.

Is the Battery change in the key fob a simple 'old one out new one in' or do I have to program anything or do anything special?

Although the main dealer does seem to be the only option, in my experience they are not the best of mechanics. Look around for a decent mechanic with a Modis system, that should solve the problem quicker, more reliably and cheaper.

Don't forget our own resident lifesaver: David.

If he can't come up with sensible suggestions as to what the problem may be, no-one will!

(unless it is something only hands on and diagnostic equipment can sort out, of course)

I will be very interested to hear what is causing this situation.

John

• Like 1

Hi There

It does seem a fob issue. The only thing that doesn't sound right is visiting the car in the morning to find it unlocked. Maybe the fob was problematic when you tried to lock it the night before. Remember, you have to have the fob present when locking as well.

Another thing to remember when opening the door manually, if you dead lock the car when you leave it and have to use the manual key then the alarm will sound. the fob has 2 actions.

1, A passive operation when its put to start button and the start button pressed to start the car. ( You can do this not only with a flat Battery but even without a Battery in the fob)

2, As a powered wireless coded transponder.

I would first try a Battery change depending on age of the car.

The battery is a CR1632, available in some Tesco"s but available quickly from Halford for about £4. Its high capacity hence the cost.

How to change it.

!,Remove the manual key (press button the side and pull out from the bottom.

2, there is a small slot in the bottom of the fob, there is a thin blade on the end of the key that fits it, simply insert and twist the two halves of the fob come apart.

3, Battery unclips and pop in the new one.

4 some times getting the 2 halves of the fob back together requires swearing, so do it on your own.

Good luck

David

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links