Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window Switch / Motor Broken

Hicardo

Hi...damn it...my drivers side window went on a go slow this morning, then gave up altogether. Turned engine off and I was able to operate it to close. After a few more attempts and problems, have now left it closed and booked to see Mr T. Has anyone had this happen? Car only 10 mths old

Would some silicon spray (not WD40) in the window channels help

Not heard of any window troubles, hope it's a simple fix.

I thought there were some cheap plastic joints and wheels (round wheels with teeth?) involved..

Does the motor stil run... do you hear a whining sound....

1 motor broke

2 mechanical problems

3 jammed

4 power supply down

Still any warrenty?

not a lot to add really,

it's difficult to say, You need to know if the glass is tight in the window frame, and thus could be slow because the voltage to the motor will drop as the current rises due to a stalling motor..The circuit current limits . Not good for the motor as it will over heat.If its "given up altogether" could be due to the excessive current drawn as it stalls trying to move the window..If you want to check the fuse its in the fuse box in the engine compartment.Having lifted the bonnet, its to your right between the headlight and Battery . Its fuse number 5 and it shares with the Air Con and double locking .Its 5A

David

• Like 1

was there not an issue with faulty rubber-thingie aroud the window.... maybe just some silicone oil?

Hi Peter

Yes it was the top seal but all the problem was that the glass dragged the seal into the window frame. Didnt effect the operation of the window

David

• Like 1

I think I remember that in our Dutch Forum (does not exist anymore :-( ) more than one had there rubbers changed by new from Toyota.

It was always on the drivers side... Also the glass would not return correctly in the rubber-thingy-trench-thing...

Some thought is was due to a curvature problem of the glass...

I think... but my memory is not reliable... :-$

Ive been looking at a few IQs now and I would say the greater proportion of them have got window seal problems. They all seem tom be in the same place, at the top on the passenger side. It looks like the seal has been dragged from the outside into the runner.

• Like 1

Sooo.. In Holland the driver sits left... and that's the side with the problems... In England the passenger sits left... and there's the problem..

Sooo ... a lousy built left door window rubber thingie?

Yes... it's always left... Door built wrong? Casting of the rubber... wrong?

Hi...sorry for delay in commenting to all the responses, been away a few days. And in the time I've been away, 4 days, the window has fixed itself and is now working. Go figure! Taking it to be checked by Mr T tomorrow as a precaution ...thanks for all the helpful comments...I' ll let you know what they say

I have now noticed that the top rubber is misshaped on my windows, (ie window has squashed it out of shape when fully up) I think I read about this on another post ?

Another Toyota design fault ?

OK, so the garage passed the car as totally fine, after checking. The best they could come up with was moisture, or software glitch. Interestingly - checked the owners manual, and on the electric windows section, it talks about what amounts to a hard reset of the system. If you encounter problems, hold the drivers window switch for 10 seconds longer once its closed, do the same on the other side, etc. Something of that ilk. So maybe there are a few kinks still in there. Mt T didnt give much away, but nobody looked too surprised.

Whilst the car was in there i had the first service done a few months early, and i supplied them the 0/20. 88 GBP all in - inc 1 day courtesy car insurance. Not bad eh?

• Like 1

There are 2 ECU data busses in the iQ. You can either calibrate the window by the book method or diss the Battery for 30 mins to get the two bussed back talking to each other properly. Of course if the original problem was the window not moving or eratic then you couldnt have done the calibration. Not sure you have seen the last of it. They love the word moisture.

David

• Like 1

Yeah... it's a shame we live in a country where it tends to rain.... ha ha ha

So the Scottish iQ's are terrible... due to the "moisture" ... LOL

Maybe they should put in something in it, like Apple does in the iPhone...

"No sir, this is damage due to "moisture"... so you will have to bye a new one..." Not our fault ... it's "moisture" ... :blowup:

Love this word... "moisture" .. ha ha ha

Morons....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links