Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bang = Smoother Ride, Wtf?

ZeroBlade

basically i started my car the other nite, and it was well cold outside, been snowing/hailing. prior 2 this it'd been about 2 days since i drove/started her.

when i first tried starting her i heard a bang noise. stopped turning the key cos of this. then i turned it again to start her.

checked the engine bay etc everything looks fine.

thing is since this "bang" the cars running smoother. accelerations increased, and its smoother inbetween gear changes etc, feels more powerful too...

this has kinda confused me. so ne1 got ne ideas on this????

-Z

strange ..... maybe that gremlin in your car was asleep. You started the car, it woke up and got a fright. Banged his head on the engine bay lid ( the bang you heard ). Hence your car now better with no gremlins inside ?

lol

i hope so. cos it feels too "nice" to be messed up :)

-Z

the thing that went bang will fall off tomorrow and it'll be worse than ever... lol

hope not tho !

mine did this once, it was a backfire though, no question. May have cleaned some **** out of your manifolds?

mine did this once, it was a backfire though, no question. May have cleaned some **** out of your manifolds?

i agree...

lets hope it aint done any damage... 'ehh.... :yes:

Sounds reasonable .. I know if I "drive Miss Daisy" for a few weeks it starts feeling really fluffy and needs a blat to clean itself out ..

did it struggle to start at all, it could have been it backfiring and causing the air filter to pop. (there is a more technical way to explain this but i am lazy)

it didnt seem to struggle, just started normally as it would in the cold.

i.e. the engine doesnt start literally straight away, but it makes that turning noise a couple of times. this seems to be normal from cold tho.

backfire sounds good. i'll tlel u what tho there was a couple munchine each other behind my car & they shat themselves. lol :D

-Z

I had a similar thing happen to my old Celica TC. It backfired and blew the sh*t out of the airfilter. All the little pleats gone byebye. Resultant reduction in resistance and increase in airflow through having no filter in place made it much quicker. :D Had to replace it tho. :(

I had a similar thing happen to my old Celica TC. It backfired and blew the sh*t out of the airfilter. All the little pleats gone byebye. Resultant reduction in resistance and increase in airflow through having no filter in place made it much quicker. :D Had to replace it tho. :(

I've got a K&N on my car and it looks ok from the outside, sounds the same aswell so do'ya rekcon its ok?

-Z

There wasn't much left of my airfilter but yours sounds like it is OK. If the same thing had happened to yours, you'd be able to see the damage.

thats good then!

as a precaution i took off the airfilter and had a look inside there ws nowt in there, better not have all gone back in!!!

ah well, next time it backfires i'll whip it straight off and empty it, dont want it gettin in now do i!!!

(and no dirty jokes bibbs!!!!:P)

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links