Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

88 Camry; Engine Overheating Frustration

kohokoho

So finally, I took my 88 Camry (164K) to a certified repair shop after the temp gage showed HOT (occasionally touching the red mark) throughout a 15 min long drive. The shop did a PS1 (pressure ?) test in the cooling system and told me that the head gasket was blown. The radiator has some fins missing too. There was no apparent external coolant leak. They told me I had two options:

1. Replace the head gasket and check for cracks in the cylinder which would cost around $1500. They were also not sure if the if it would be a good idea to replace the gasket at this many miles.

2. Replace the motor (engine);cost around $1200-1500, with labor.

Now I am having a hard time making a decision on what to do. I would definitley want to be certain that those are my only two options before letting the car go. I had bought this car at 158K for $850 and have been enjoying driving it, specially after the $180 tune-up yesterday which has made the car run literally like new (amazing smoothness !) At this point, I am just praying that it's not the gasket. This is the only car I have and my only means of getting to and from work. I would like to hear from you all what your opinions are on other possible causes of overheating. What are some symptoms of blown head gasket? Is replacing the gasket really worth that much ? Could it just be the radiator? Do I have other options? I am frustrated...Please help !

I would consider getting another opinion.It seems a little expensive for a headgasket-that probably includes another head and the quote for another engine seems a little low.

Hey I had a similiar problem with my 89 camry; i ended up having to replace the radiator element and the thermostat, but it kept overheating. So i checked the engine cooling fans and they were not coming on when they were meant to. And after cleaning the fan's connections they started running right again. I was also told that it could be my head gasket but it did not turn out to be so.

A simple check to see if your head gasket has cracked is to open the radiator cap while the engine is running, if you notice obvious bubbles appearing there from the cooling your gasket may be broke.

Hope this helps.

Hey..it's been about a week that I changed my radiator($210) and the problem seems to have gone since then ! thanks everyone !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links