Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Lower Wishbone

Tree-Hugger

My partner was driving to work this morning when the lower wishbone snapped on her 2009 IQ, I am rather surprised this has happened on a car with only 20 odd thousand miles on the clock! This has also resulted in the front valance being damaged when it hit the ground, very annoying, at least she was OK just a bit shaken. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their IQ, it has shaken our confidence in a car we both really liked before.

Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Kevin

Have to say I've never heard of this being an issue and haven't heard of anything like that before.

Do you know the history of the car, are you the first owner? Just wondering if it could have been damaged or dented before in a previous incident.

Craig.

• Like 1

Wishbones do not snap for no reason at all, even in a heavy impact they rarely snap

More to this than meets the eye me thinks. How did it snap? got a picture?

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That should just not happen in a car that has not had exceptionally bad treatment such as being in an accident and not properly inspected or repaired.

If that isn't the case and the car has just had normal usage then it could be a major concern for any IQ owner. (Here we go again I hear you say). I doubt if that is the case though.

The roads round here are so full of potholes I often wonder when something like a wishbone is going to break.

I presume it was the nearside one that broke?

John

• Like 1

Maybe a bad repaired bent wishbone....due to a hit on the side during a slip in a curb...? Then the wheel is "bent" out of line... If they have bent this back, it can make a weak spot...

Thanks for the replies, good to hear other people not had this problem. We bought the car when it was about 2 years old with 11000 miles on the clock, so hasn't had heavy use, I have never noticed any signs of previous accident repair and we haven't had any accidents in it or hit any kerbs, also the car was serviced 9 months ago, and had the front wheels off for new tyres to be fitted and wheel alignment adjusted about 4 months ago, nothing mentioned by either garage! It is the offside lower wishbone that has snapped, car is at Toyota dealer at the moment, but may try to get pics at the weekend. I was driving the car a couple of days before the wishbone snapped and I did notice that the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving in a straight line, never noticed this before, I had no idea what was causing it but did comment to my partner that we had better get it checked out, however the next time the car was used the wishbone gave out.

Thanks

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links