Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling Under Acceleration [Diesel]

JimRoss

Hi there,

Just bought a 57 plate 2.0 TR Auris D4D second-hand, with 57,000 miles on the clock. Looks like a perfectly nice car so far, but one thing I have noticed is a distinct rattling noise from the engine under acceleration. It sounds a lot like the pinking you'd get on a mistimed petrol engine. The only odd thing is that I'm 99% sure it wasn't there when we test-drove it. It's pretty noticeable, after all.

A bit of googling around suggests it might be a worn injector causing a bit of predetonation. Does that sound plausible? And if it is that, how big a problem is it? Will it need fixing immediately or can we wait? And does anyone know roughly how much it'll cost to get it fixed? I have a 12-month dealer warranty that pays the first £500, for what that's worth.

The other option is that it's related to the air filter - it got RAC tested before we bought it and apparently the chap who did it made some kind of mistake with the air filter (I don't have the exact details to hand), but 1) it's apparently now been fixed and 2) I'm not really sure how a filter problem could cause this in the first place. Any help much appreciated!

edit: the rattling starts at about 1400 rpm. I can't tell if it carries on at high revs because the engine roar tends to overwhelm it, but it's still noticeable around 2000. And it only happens under acceleration - it's perfectly smooth when it's cruising.

Try this first hold the revs between 1300 and 1800rpm. If its that rattle it will be a loose airbox. Some foam insulating tape and a self tapping screw will sort it out.

If its an injector parts alone including new crush pipes are about £500 each + labour

Alex

Try this first hold the revs between 1300 and 1800rpm. If its that rattle it will be a loose airbox. Some foam insulating tape and a self tapping screw will sort it out.

If its an injector parts alone including new crush pipes are about £500 each + labour

Alex

Thanks. But I still get the sound above 1800.

I'm told some degree of rattling under load is normal for an HDI, is that right? And how would I tell a normal sound from an abnormal one?

Experience, or the experience of an expert. If you don't know what you are listening for why not take it back to where you bought it and get them to listen to it, or pop it into a dealer to have a listen? Your contract is with the garage you bought it off, best mentioning it now rather than some time further down the road when they don't want to know, or you get the "not covered" message

Third party warranties, especially ones with claim limits as poor as £500 are not worth the paper they are written on-sorry. Modern diesel engines are very expensive to repair. Injectors that are out of spec do make a terrible rattling noise

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you have just bought the car the warranty should not come into play as it is fairly safe to say that the fault was present when you collected it. Current UK customer legislation should protect you without invoking the warranty.

I can't claim to be an expert on this but you will probably find out more on Honest John's website

Peter

• 7 years later...

Hi

I've just bought a 2007 Auris 2lt D4D and it has the same problem.

Did you find out what it was?

My husband says he didn't hear it when he went for a test drive,but I've been driving it for 4 days now and hear it when I accelerate and only when the car is moving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links