Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Pressure Washed There Iq Engine Compartment ?

bobkneale

Has anyone found a safe and "easy" / "quick" method to clean there IQ engine area ?

I am considering "hot pressure washing" under the bonnet however there seems to be lots of electrical connections all over the place that don't look to water resistant to me.

In fact the use of black tape on / and or around many of electrical wires seems to be the norm under the bonnet, which is also bothering me a bit regarding its durability to hot pressure cleaning.

I also don't fancy spending too many hours carefully cleaning with a brush and engine solvent type cleaner around everything.

The reason for my cleaning is just my idea that under the bonnet should be as well looked after (from a maintenance perspective) as the inside and the exterior of the car.

It's an old habit of mine being explored that's all, nothing more !

A 12 month service will be due for my IQ in January 2014, which I will do all myself, so I am starting to plan it well ahead of time !

All comments welcomed !

Bob, With older cars where one would go round the engine bay, regularly, with an oil can lubricating throttle linkages and putting grease on things like clutch operating levers etc I believe it was not advised to pressure wash, or steam clean an engine bay as it would tend to remove such lubrication unless it was carefully and selectively done.

I know dealers did it to spruce up a car to be sold but they were not worried about a dry cable or squeaking hinge as long as the engine bay looked good.

I would presume the same is true today, and I would be reluctant to pressure wash an engine bay of my own car, but perhaps I am living in the cautious past?

Do modern valet companies have a way of doing it that you could copy? (Or maybe they do indeed use pressure washers and are very careful!)

John

I would go with the using of Gunk or other de-greasers, or something similar and taking a few hours if you must, but 1 hour should be enough.

I use Brake Cleaner sometimes, but then am sure to then protect the metal again from corrosion.

(Sodium, road salt in winter)

No pressure Washing, but after cleaning plenty of Lubing an greasing and care.

(& more oil can sometimes be as bad as no oil,

capillary action can leave over oiled things dry.)

Power washed engine compartment are often the ones that have horrible looking Alloy & metal in just a short while after removing the nice protective coating in an engine compartment.

Motorcycle dry chain Dressing or Finnegans Clear Waxyol or even White Grease is good for waterproofing some electricals.

Only use Red Brake Grease on Rubber,

it is not Petroleum based.

I make under bonnets look good with 'Tesco Tyre & Bumper Restorer', £1.99.on rubber and plastics.

& this is good around Door and bonnet seals in winter to stop from freezing if not using Silicone Spray.

george

Have a look on detailingworld.com plenty of advice on there. I would just get a microfibre cloth, some degreaser and a small brush, dont get things to wet and wipe off with the cloth

Alex

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links