Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recommendations For Ice/head Unit

Hoovie

Bought a new (to me :) ) VW Transporter yesterday and need a single-din Audio Unit that has FM Radio, iPod/USB connectivity (pref at the rear to avoid cables sticking out), CD ideally but not essential and bluetooth for hands-free Phone use. DAB would be handy but not at much of an uplift price as reception here is poor so my current car DAB gets little use anyway

Back in the old days, I always used to buy Alpine units, but not looked at aftermarket units for maybe 15 odd years so totally out of touch :(

Any advice for decent units? Not really into garish displays, budget is around the £100 mark.

Cheers :)

Very nice... I do like the VW Transporters..

I assume mostly for business use ?

You can get loads of bits for them... pimping opportunity ?

I've had Alpine units fitted in my last few cars and find them good..

But I know people who like their JVC, Sony, Kenwood, etc.. so can be a difficult choice..

What about this :

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alp-ute72bt-alpine-ute-72bt-media-receiver.html

Very nice... I do like the VW Transporters..

I assume mostly for business use ?

You can get loads of bits for them... pimping opportunity ?

I've had Alpine units fitted in my last few cars and find them good..

But I know people who like their JVC, Sony, Kenwood, etc.. so can be a difficult choice..

What about this :

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alp-ute72bt-alpine-ute-72bt-media-receiver.html

Looks like a good unit :)

Went for the VW as it does have so much scope for personalising and pimping. She is pretty old (a T4) but low miles for the age at just 78k and the plan is to make a few mods and tidy her up over the next few months and be able to enjoy next spring/summer, as well as use to carry gear around to fairs and markets for me and my OHs new business projects :D

Looks good as well :)

I think I will be sticking to the devil I know (even though my last Alpine went up in smoke prematurely, but was back in 2003)

As with all these things, sticking to a hard budget is tricky as a few extra quid gets you feature x, and then a few more on top gets you gimmick y, etc, etc, so bound to end up spending more then planned :(

If you play as much music as I do in the car then a few extra pounds is a small price to pay :thumbsup:

If you play as much music as I do in the car then a few extra pounds is a small price to pay :thumbsup:

Well, predictably, I looked at the various Alpine units and ended up ordering the top of the line system :). One feature I like on the high-end ones is the "vTuner" compatibility so you can listen to Internet radio easily using the phone data connection. I usually listen to Internet stations at home in fact, so this could be something I actually will use, especially when parked up on a day out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I ordered the Alpine unit, but got sent the wrong one :( supplier sorted it out well with little hassle, which is good to see and now I have the new unit and it is all up and running in the T4 :D.

Bought a pair of Rockford Fosgate Speakers to drop in in place of the original 10p VW ones and sounds sweet :)

The iPod control is a bit fiddly compared to the way the unit in my Citroen drives it, but streets ahead of the total pants Official iPod adapter which is an embarrassment to the company TBH and how they have the nerve to actually charge three figures for it is beyond me :(

Oh, and the Alpine unit does not seem to be able to drive an older iPod - it sounds like there is not enough power as I plug in my iPod Video with 30GB HD in it and I can hear the drive trying to spin up and dying over and over - it works fine in the Citroen however.

Great to know you got one sorted...

Sometimes in the past I have had to "re-boot" my iPod for it to connect to the Alpine units properly..

Great to know you got one sorted...

Sometimes in the past I have had to "re-boot" my iPod for it to connect to the Alpine units properly..

I am hearing the repetitive spin up/click/spin down noise when put against my ear, but I'll give a reboot a go. Never know your luck :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links