Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Painting Your Car...

TheNissanMan

As part of my little Mk1 Project I will eventually need to paint the car...

Has anyone ever done this and could offer advice, I've been told that as I don't have access to a low bake oven I will need a certain type of paint but without any knowledge in the area thought I better seek a second opinion, and post here to try and see if anyone knows anything about painting cars....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

send me a picture of the car and a rough idea of colour and i can show you what it will look like!

I know a bit about painting cars.

For a long lasting finish you will want to look at a two-pack material

You don't need an oven - all the oven does is speed the chemical reaction between the various parts of the paint mix. Lots of bodyshops have ovens because it speeds the drying and hardening process from 24 hours to a matter of 1 or 2 hours. Bodyshops have low margins so rely on throughput.

We have a paintshop for painting classic cars - the painting side is a small part of the work involved so we don't need an oven as we don't have the throughput.

Providing the spray booth is clinically clean there should be now difference in quality between an oven baked car and another without an oven.

For a 2k material you will need air fed breathing masks as its poisonous.

For a good finish it will need to be flatted and polished afterwards for a mirror smooth finish.

Thanks for the offer YarisT but as this is going to be a really wacky paintjob I have another friend photoshoppingthe job to see what it will look like and then it'll be kept under wraps until the job is complete....

All I'll say at this point is I can guarantee two things...

1) You'll never have seen anothe Mk1 MR2 like it....

2) You'll either love it or hate it....

I can't wait to see the reactions when this is done...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links