Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheels On Insurance

sera_beetle

i want to put a set of second hand alloys on my Sera (£230)

tesco insurance said that it will add £160 on my insureance! :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: = gits

the dam car came with alloys as stock and got taken off (not by me). and even if i put them back on it would still be £160.

i am slighty Miffed :angry:

any ideas

How long has your insurance got to run? I would be looking for a friendlier insurance company. I've heard a lot of them dont charge any more unless the wheels are really expensive. You should be able to fit stock alloys at no cost because one of the first questions they ask is "has the car been modified in any way". If you re-fitted the stock alloys then that part at least is factory standard.

thats a bit crap aint it!

it only cost me 40 quid to fit 17's with a value upto a grand with elephant!

change ya insurance!

yea the dam thing is that i have only had the insurance for 5 months (still another 7 to go)

i don't know what to do because when i was looking around i was getting quotes for 3000-4000 pounds of third party fire+thief

tescos did it for 1500 third party fire+thief

the guy said on the phone that if you put smaller wheels on it improver the acceration and if you put big one on (19") it improves the top speed is he talking CR*P

technically yes. small wheels do improve acceleration and bigger ones improve top end.

but bigger alloys are heavier and therefore work against you

smaller rims are also better for handeling

My friends with "Cis" (google?), can't say I've heard of them. He can put ANY alloys on his car & they cover all the costs :ffs:

Update --- they have now agreed that if i put the oringal alloys on they will not charge me (i should think so too)

but they did say if i have any alloy wheel IT MUST be fitted and approved by toyota and they won't charge me :censor: so if any toyota garge wants to help me out by fitting these alloys i am going to by (or write a note to that affect) Tesco's wont charge me They really just make it up as they go along :angry:

all i want is a nice set of 16" TSW razor blades which i a getting for £230 it's not like i'm putting £1000 OZ's on.

any help would be a great help thanks

My friends with "Cis" (google?), can't say I've heard of them. He can put ANY alloys on his car & they cover all the costs :ffs:

I have heard of CIS (part of the Co-Op group i think)

Your mates got a good deal is he fully comp?

Erm, it cost him £1000 on a Saxo VTR. He's 18 so I highly doubt it was fully comp but I never asked :bye:

They wouldn't even quote me on my car :blink:

Nor me but i think it's do do with mine being an import :-( it's not fair

Co-operative Insurance Service = CIS

very good group, not cheap but they have good policy.

I paid £800 for my mum to buy insurance for my car, under a ANY driver Policy...

Therefore, if i am ****** my friends who are legal drivers can drive my car and take me home and they are insured!

Matt

£16 i paid with Adrian Flux

But Adrian flux xharge £15 administration fee.... well they did until i moaned at them and they dropped it

All the business they have had from the club they had to do something.

but they did say if i have any alloy wheel IT MUST be fitted and approved by toyota and they won't charge me

I think you might find what they are saying is that those wheels must be toyota wheels, not that toyota must fit them for you. Could be wrong but thats the way I would read it if it were me.

I'm with CIS. When I first signed up I got 3years NCB for free because of my age (and a few other factors). As a result I've been tied into CIS for the last 4 years as nobody else can match the quotes because CIS have continued to give me the extra 3yrs NCB (that means I will be gettting the equivalent of 7years NCB next year if I keep out of trouble).

When I was in Yorkshire we even had a man come round to the house to do all the admin stuff, (just like all the insurance men used to do) he even drove over to deliver my cover note in person, AND it was in the evening so I didn't have to mess about trying to get to the shops before 5pm!

Im with CIS as well. they were the cheapes ive found by far - £800 fully comp under my mum's name. (that's with full NCB and 4 named drivers, 10k per year). didn't know that about the wheels, though. i might have to start shopping! :D

Im with CIS as well. they were the cheapes ive found by far - £800 fully comp under my mum's name. (that's with full NCB and 4 named drivers, 10k per year). didn't know that about the wheels, though. i might have to start shopping! :D

hhmm! I paid 800 fully comp under my mums name, for any driver (more than four) and something like 6 years NCB as my mum had a crash last year, I dont know exactly but it wasnt Full NCB

Matt

CIS are cool, i like them alot but they don't like me

20 year old male driving just over a year no NCB with a 1.5 Jap import Sera, i could hear there laughter down the phone :-(

You should be able to fit stock alloys at no cost because one of the first questions they ask is "has the car been modified in any way". If you re-fitted the stock alloys then that part at least is factory standard.

That's exactly what I did while my Sera was in transit from Japan. I knew it had steel wheels on it, and that I could get original alloys for it. When the insurance people asked if there were any mods I told them everything was factory standard. They never asked if the wheels were steel or alloy, just basically wanting to know if the car was 'as Toyota intended'. thus leaving me free to swap the wheels when I got a set of originals.

Rich

Factory standard is a good phrase for the Sera as there were about 100 optional extras when new. Gives you plenty of leeway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links