Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Lights On/seatbelt Off/door Open Buzzer

Miseryguts

Quick up date on the "sparkle".

I took the car into a different body shop today for a quote ( in case I end up "losing it" at the dealers) to pay for the work myself.

The manager took the car into the workshop and used a special light (God knows what its called) but it shows up "discrepancies " in metallic paint.

He said the size and amount of metallic in the bumpers was way above what was showing up on the bodywork.

He said that his company does many "tests" to get the amount of metallic content just right ( judging by the pictures on the wall and cars waiting to be done they deal with some very expensive machinery).

Cost to respray both bumpers?

£700 !!

We will see what Toyota has to say on Monday.

If I get it done at my expense I might get them to respray the bonnet as well while they are at it to get rid of the scratches and swirls.

If I throw enough money at it I might finish up with a car that I like to look at,rather than one with swirls,scratches and poorly matched paint on the bumpers.

Should consider respraying the whole car, maybe using plasti dip or wrapping with vinyl :)

maybe using plasti dip or wrapping with vinyl :)

I don't think he's 19. ;)

Interestingly, this fancy pants sooped up Auris seems to display similar paint differences to yours...

I might be seeing what I want to see, but it looks to me like there's a difference in colour at the join between the front wing and the bumper.

Maybe they're just crap at spraying bumpers (paint takes to the plastic differently than the metal?)

Geneva_MotorShow_2013_-_Toyota_Auris_Tou

Easier to see at full size: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Geneva_MotorShow_2013_-_Toyota_Auris_Touring_Sports_%22Black%22.jpg

Blimey,maybe they are ALL like it !!!

It does look very similar to my problem.

I think someone better have a word with the guy in charge of the bumper painting because he's c**p.

And yes I saw my 19th birthday MANY moons ago :-)

Lol well it doesn't have to be bright neon colour. It can be some sophisticated one, just something different than the usual colours :)

There is slight colour difference when comparing bumper and rest of the car. It's because of plastic/metal. Please see Xpyyy's car, same colour difference, never resprayed, it came like that from factory.

mg10601.jpg

There is slight colour difference when comparing bumper and rest of the car. It's because of plastic/metal. Please see Xpyyy's car, same colour difference, never resprayed, it came like that from factory.

It seems like it is much worse when sparkly metallics are used. I have a "granite grey" 2013 and the colour match seems almost spot on to me. It's metallic but not sparkly/glittery. I would take a picture but it's at the garage LOL*. Seems our cars prefer their first home to the ones we gave them ;)

* (Not the car's fault, I should add. A *!%$*£$ taxi driver reversed into me.)

Yours is the same colour as mine, Titanium and the bumpers should not be as seen in your pics.The problem does seem to be with the paint job. I believe that your dealer needs permission from Mr T before respraying the bumpers under warrenty or else they would not be paid.

Dealerships do vary, some better than others, but I am sure that given the facts as you have published them Mr T will come through.

Keep us posted

Re the lights/door open buzzer/seat belt buzzer. Yes on the 2013 Auris they do seem to be quite unobtrusive compared to previous models. Someone said the volume could be changed, my dealer plugged the diagnostics in & said that they were already at max volume.

Apart from that this is the best model Corolla/Auris I have ever owned & there have been many.

Stick with it.

Yours is the same colour as mine, Titanium

No,its Eclipse Black :-)

Mind you,between the body and the bumpers its anyones guess.

As far as I can tell, they want you to not-be-bothered so they introduce as much BS as possible. I got bumped in traffic the other week, the rear bumper plastic collided with whatever's inside it revealing the "four dots of crashed-ness" that I have seen on many other Toyotas. To me it seems clear that whipping out the bit of black plastic and sticking in a new one is the obvious solution. To the garage, oh no, *intake of breath through teeth* that'll need a week in the garage so the "expert" (never has the word been so incorrectly used) from the insurance can come and look at it, then we'll sand down and buff out (or spray, I'm not sure). Hours of labour vs. a few pence of plastic. Natural choice, yup.

Anyway, translation: "come on, don't bother. You know you don't want to lose your car for a whole week over this."

WELL YOU WON'T WIN. I WILL TAKE THE BUS FOR A WEEK OUT OF SHEER PRINCIPAL! ;)

You guys really do seem to have problems with your dealerships. By the way what are you on about when you say " the rear bumper plastic collided with whatever's inside it revealing the "four dots of crashed-ness" that I have seen on many other Toyotas.

Both front and rear bumpers are the same condition,so I would rule out accident damage to both bumpers.

The car was only 2 months old (it was ordered in error) with less than 80 miles on the clock.

The independent paint shop guy was pretty sure it was a factory paint job not an aftermarket one following an accident.....................

Thinking about it I would lay money that the car did not come like this on delivery (poor paint match, peeling stone chip plastic & chipped tailgate glass) for the simple reason it would have been rejected by the dealership. Something has happened along the way & someone hasn't told the full story.

A person I know who works in sales for a different manufacturer told me how three brand new cars which were due to be delivered to customers all had bumper paint jobs due toba mishap on the forecourt.

All parked in a line with handbrakes off. A salesman had to move them. Salesman proceeds to move the car at the back. They start the car whilst standing outside it and leaning in. The car was a petrol cvt, handbrake off but it was left in D! Combined with the highers revs of a cold engine start, yup it flew forward and damaged all three cars. All cars were delivered and the customers weren't told about the incident.

By the way what are you on about when you say " the rear bumper plastic collided with whatever's inside it revealing the "four dots of crashed-ness" that I have seen on many other Toyotas.

What I'm "on about" is that there must be 4 bolt heads in a square pattern behind the bumper near the corner, presumably holding the car together. The plastic was deformed by the collision (relatively slow speed) and must have been pressed against these, as afterwards there were 4 protrusions from the plasic.

I have seen it on the rear bumpers of another Auris and also I think on a Corolla (little shunts like this are very "popular" round these parts).

Actually we put off the repairs for quite a long time, and managed to get hit again in the meantime (taxi this time, managed to deform the drivers door panel, woohoo), and now the dealer says they are will replace the plastic piece rather than filling it. Clouds, silver linings, etc...

(Sorry to hijack the thread a little)

post-135407-0-84835000-1388997288_thumb.

A person I know who works in sales for a different manufacturer told me how three brand new cars which were due to be delivered to customers all had bumper paint jobs due toba mishap on the forecourt.

All parked in a line with handbrakes off. A salesman had to move them. Salesman proceeds to move the car at the back. They start the car whilst standing outside it and leaning in. The car was a petrol cvt, handbrake off but it was left in D! Combined with the highers revs of a cold engine start, yup it flew forward and damaged all three cars. All cars were delivered and the customers weren't told about the incident.

It's not possible to start a CVT in "D". To start, you have to put into "P" (park) and depress the brake pedal whilst turning key to start - sounds like a typical salesman flim-flam story to me.

It certainly does! I questioned this as well, but apparently they tested it and it was indeed possible to start the car when left in D! Why anyone would leave it in D is another issue...

I don't disbelieve your story as told by you, but we have owned many CVTs, and currenty drive a Auris CVT and an Aygo MMT, both of which cannot be started in "D".

Weird!

If I ever come across a Honda cvt, I'd be interested to find out myself! But I'm with you - I can't see how it would be allowed to start if left in D... what if a minor was left in the car or a similar scenario!

I did start a manual once whist it was in gear and I was outside of car (think I was testing a new exhaust at the time). Car jumped forward straight through a front window of our house - wife was not happy.

I think the story you were told has probably been embellished a bit over time and no doubt it did occur, but in a manual. Come to think of it, I don't think any auto (CVT, DSG, Torque Converter, automated manual) will start in "D" - none of the ones I have owned at least.

Anyway, just goes to show that careless accidents can happen to new cars before they are delivered, and I doubt if the unsuspecting first owner ever will know.

In fact you cannot remove the ignition key in anything but park.

Unless it the latest Auris XL as it has keyless start and entry. I have it and still can't get used to it. If it was an option I think I would have left well alone, but as it's fitted, I will try to love it.

UPDATE on paint issue.

Just heard from the Service manager who has been in contact with the Toyota rep who has examined the pictures.

His finding is the the paint job is "acceptable".

The man is either blind or stupid or both.

I am now talking to Toyota customer relations,photos have been sent plus a letter from the independent body shop saying the paint job was sub standard.

They can pick the bones out of that.

I went to a local DIY store yesterday and park very close to me was a Auris,same model same year same colour except it had MATCHING BUMPERS with NO SPARKLES.

If his car is ok then what about mine.

The saga continues.

Ken,

You should have taken some photos of the other Auris to show Toyota for a comparison.

That keyless entry stuff freaks me out. How lazy have we become that even a remote control is too much hard work :D

Seems far too risky too

• Like 1

" Just heard from the Service manager who has been in contact with the Toyota rep who has examined the pictures.

His finding is the the paint job is "acceptable"..................."

I am very surprised that a decision was made based on photographs, hard to believe.

I'm guessing that you must live a fair distance from the dealership or else you would have insisted on being present so they could examine the vehicle first hand.

Ken,

You should have taken some photos of the other Auris to show Toyota for a comparison.

Yes,if only.

I only popped out for a couple of things,I didn't even have my phone.

It was one of those new fangled Hybrid things,damn near knocked me down as I was walking back to my car.

Electric cars should have a man with a red flag walking in front of them :-))

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links