Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Folding Mirrors

tarquin

Hi everyone

Will be working on a add on circuit/ module to close mirrors on locking the iQ and open them on unlocking the iQ with either remote or smart entry. Any interest?

Will be when the weather gets warmer as need to open a few panels for experimentation

David

• Like 2

Wonder how long the mechanism, motors and the wiring passing through the swivelling joint will last if it has to move every time you lock and unlock the door?

Not criticising the idea, just thinking aloud. :)

Craig.

• Like 1

With my Auris, if I use the mirror folding button to fold the mirrors before turning the ignition off, and then press the button again within approx 45 seconds of the ignition being turned off, the mirrors automatically unfold when the ignition is next turned on.

Does the same thing not happen with the IQ?

• Like 1

Yes if with the engine running you press the button, the mirrors come in. Then turn the engine off and press the button again, the mirrors stay put. When you return to the car and turn the ignition on or start the car, the mirrors deploy. My concept is to be able to open /close the mirrors with the remote or lock / unlock smart entry

David

• Like 1

Craig

I understand. Not having folding mirrors before, i'm not sure what constitutes good quality mechanism. And durability

David

• Like 1

No, Me neither really, Not sure if its a set of flimsy plastic gears in there or a proper mechanism built to last, Only time will tell I guess.

Tell you another feature of my old Range Rover I miss and that is the ability to close the windows from the remote. On The Range Rover if you pressed the lock button on the remote and held the button down for a few seconds any open windows or sunroof would close themselves.

Lost count the number of times I've stopped the iQ then to realise the windows are down so I then need to turn the ignition back on and manually close the windows.

Not an easy thing to build in as an afterthought I imagine.

I'd also like the heater control dial to default to the fan speed setting and not the temperature setting.

Sorry, going slightly off topic here, Interested to see your progress though if you can get it working... :)

Craig.

• Like 1

Sounds a good idea David. I would have thought the mechanism should be up to it. I'm sure there are people that park on the street every day and fold the mirrors with the button, so I would imagine they are designed for daily folding.

I had Saab for 3 years and folded mirrors when parking outside the house each evening. No problem with durability of the mechanism ( probably made by GM). So I don't envisage any issues with applying the proposed mod.

Good luck with it David.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I remember a couple of years ago you asking for the A/C unit to default to fan instead of temp. I remember saying its eprom'ed in ( programmed chip non erasable) and without the source code and editer. Its impossible to alter. If i had the circuit diagram i could probably "frig" it

The circuit for the mirrors is easy to do. Its allowing it to be done manual as well that needs some thought

David

• Like 1

Indeed, I did ask before, just thought I'd mention it again incase some more thoughts had sprung to mind. :)

Craig.

• Like 1

No, Me neither really, Not sure if its a set of flimsy plastic gears in there or a proper mechanism built to last, Only time will tell I guess.

Tell you another feature of my old Range Rover I miss and that is the ability to close the windows from the remote. On The Range Rover if you pressed the lock button on the remote and held the button down for a few seconds any open windows or sunroof would close themselves.

Lost count the number of times I've stopped the iQ then to realise the windows are down so I then need to turn the ignition back on and manually close the windows.

Craig.

YEP.. Miss that also...

Even my Smart has this... when you lock the car with the remote the left (only left?) goes to closing position....

I miss two things really badly:

1) Automatic door lock when driving off. My Citroen C5 engages lock after 6mph

2) Audible speed warning - so get to 30mph and don't get caught out when city driving. It seems the iQ drives like 30mph at 40mph to me!!!

Surprisingly, the door mirrors are manual on such an electronic car and I can take or leave the remotely controlled windows.

But the iQ mirrors are a bit of a pain and I nearly always forget to turn them in after parking up which means starting the car again. So this would be a good move David.

Once again envy is rearing it's ugly head as I read this thread. The Scion version of the iQ in the States does not come with folding mirrors or is it an option.

Not to go too far off topic but would anyone have links to parts yards (junkyards) in the UK that might have iQ parts? If I could find a set and bring them here for my iQ it would be the only in America.

I have seen the motor assembly on eBay but our mirrors don't have the gearing installed so it would be a complete mirror housing replacement to make it work.

There have been some third generation Prius owners who think the folding mirrors from their model might fit the iQ but so far no physical testing has been done.

Sorry, back on topic...

Once again envy is rearing it's ugly head as I read this thread. The Scion version of the iQ in the States does not come with folding mirrors or is it an option.

Not to go too far off topic but would anyone have links to parts yards (junkyards) in the UK that might have iQ parts? If I could find a set and bring them here for my iQ it would be the only in America.

I have seen the motor assembly on eBay but our mirrors don't have the gearing installed so it would be a complete mirror housing replacement to make it work.

There have been some third generation Prius owners who think the folding mirrors from their model might fit the iQ but so far no physical testing has been done.

Sorry, back on topic...

You gotta do it mate. The only one Stateside? That would be bonkers :D

Sounds crazy though. The impression I get from the couple of trips I've made, and I may be wrong, is that you seem to get many things standard over there that we don't get so I'm surprised. For instance, is the SatNav console standard? Do you have 1.0L versions at all, or are they all 1.3L engines? What about the tyres/tires, are they all 16" over there?

Sorry, back on topic...

You gotta do it mate. The only one Stateside? That would be bonkers :D

Sounds crazy though. The impression I get from the couple of trips I've made, and I may be wrong, is that you seem to get many things standard over there that we don't get so I'm surprised. For instance, is the SatNav console standard? Do you have 1.0L versions at all, or are they all 1.3L engines? What about the tyres/tires, are they all 16" over there?

The Navi unit is available for an extra $2000 USD. We only have one engine choice, the 1.3L and no transmission choices. We have the CVT in our models.

• Like 1

The Navi unit is available for an extra $2000 USD. We only have one engine choice, the 1.3L and no transmission choices. We have the CVT in our models.

Okay, that's interesting thanks. USD2000's a bit steep for the satnav though even after currency conversion. Blimey

The Tns350 which i have in my iQ retro fitted a year ago and is now the standard satnav. Has camera alerts and shows road speed on screen

David

But the iQ mirrors are a bit of a pain and I nearly always forget to turn them in after parking up which means starting the car again. So this would be a good move David.

You don't have to start it back up, they can be folded in by hand. Then they open back out outomaticaly once the ignition is turned back on.

I would like it as a visible indication car is locked. My Jag XFS has this folds when locking so can look out of window at home to check car is locked. Great idea

Great idea. David, as you know, I have the iQ1, so manual folding mirrors. Sometimes forget to put them in folded position after getting out of car at supermarkets, one of the most dangerous places for door mirrors, and bodywork of course. Can also be a problem when in a rush -ie when it's persisting down- to unfold them before driving off. Still, a quick drop of the windows sorts that out. If I ever get another iQ would like to have leccy folding mirrors.

:thumbsup:

Are the mirror housings the same on the iQ1 and following models? I would assume it's just the inside mechanical pieces that are different.

Still hunting for a way to get a pair to the States.

Hi Taz

Do your mirrors at present have ?

1, heated glass

2 , adjusting motors and a direction switch on the bottom left of the dash board

This switch panel has another button to fold/un-fold the mirrors

Electronically, the mirrors have two wires , a black and white pair. Both sides parrallel up and go to the switch. Also going to the switch is a chassis negative and a live ACC feed via a 5A fuse. The method of operation is that by depressing the switch it reverses the polarity to the mirror motors and they actuate and pressing the switch again, they actuate again reversing their movement. The cables are connected to a fixed socket within each door and travel down through the rubber cable joint to the cars interior where they connect to the terminal connectors near the footwells each side before making their way to the dash switch.

I am telling you all this so you can see that sourcing the mirrors is half the battle. Also if you have to manually adjust them with a "joystick" then you will also need the triangle plate to cover the cables coming through the door where the joystick "ih you have one" at present

Also the mirrors are color coded to the car color but you can, like mine fit chrome ones if desired

David

Hi Taz

I can get a price for you for the complete units and part numbers and of course a purchase address and phone number if that helps

David

Thank you David, that would be great.

The Scion version of the iQ has no heated mirrors nor is there any gearing inside the housing. The only electrical leads present are those to activate the turn signal. Mine does have more wires since I added the aftermarket turn signal/courtesy/daytime running light module to mine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links