Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Noob With Strange Noise...

t1m

Hi there,

Having just swapped my Celica SS-3 for an MR2 T-Bar (N/A), I'm a bit miffed to find out it has a wierd noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds like a tapping / mechanical noise, which occurs from somewhere in the engine bay behind the passenger headrest. It only happens under light accelerator input (after which it is probably masked by a HKS induction kit's noise), and only when in gear. Drop the clutch and it vanishes. I can't replicate it when parked, as obviously it won't be in gear.... No probs changing gear / accelerating etc, and nothing is obviously loose - any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Ummmm, tricky one.... i'd start with an oil change, give it a flush at the same time. Could be a loose exhaust manifold....

It could be many things, start with the cheap options and see how you get on...

Matt.

tap everything with a screw driver to see what makes a similar noise :)

It's how I found a loose heat shield ..

Thanks for the suggestions, could that make a noise that only happens when in gear? I assumed that it wouldn't be as simple as that, as once I dip the clutch the noise vanishes...

sometimes it's fequency related .. but without getting a mate to sit in the boot as you drive along .. dunno what to suggest ..

A better description of the sound may help?

The noise could be a rattle, but sounds very much like an engine type noise. It sounds like a fairly quick tapping noise, the frequency of which seems to increase as you increase accelerator input. It's almost the kind of noise I would expect the injectors or valves in the engine to make. As I said, it's a very mechanical "cranking up to speed" noise, if that makes any sense...

I've just found out the HKS induction kit fitted by the previous owner seems to have had the filter removed, and replaced by a flimsy 2mm thick white mesh filter. Could this have anything to do with it? Perhaps engine noise coming throught the induction kit, not muffled by the inch or so of the filter that's supposed to be there? I'll be getting a new filter for it at the weekend, so will see if that makes any difference. I'll also have a good hunt over the weekend for any loose parts.

I called past Toyota on the way home tonight who said the induction kit made it difficult for them to pinpoint the noise, but said it could be a gearbox or clutch fault. Is this likely, or just a way to try and extract muchus cash from me?!

On a side note, don't suppose there are any MR2 whiz-kids in the Newcastle area who could spare an hour or so to gimmie a hand are there?! :help:

Tim

alrite there m8, i'm no wizzkidd but i'll try and help ya out if i can.

if there is a prob and we've go no idea theres a mechie at a garage here that'l get it sorted no probs, he's a class fella, really know his ****!

pm me m8

-Z

alrite there m8, i'm no wizzkidd but i'll try and help ya out if i can.

if there is a prob and we've go no idea theres a mechie at a garage here that'l get it sorted no probs, he's a class fella, really know his ****!

pm me m8

-Z

mmm... Won't let me - it just says "error" when I try to PM you. Is it because I'm not a paid up member?

If you could drop me a line at *email removed* I'd appreciate it :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Tim

its either that ur not a member of u've got to reach a certain quota of posts b4 the pm's enabled i can't rem.

Sure thing pal, i'll fire off an e-mail now.

-Z

could be a gearbox thrust bearing.

mine has a similar noise until i dip the clutch.

from memory seen a few peeps with thrust bearing noise over various forums - seems a common pain with the 2.

Mt driver side T-bar used to creak when I went over bumps, at first I thought it was engine tapping noise, then when the window was down I oulled down on the t-bar and it stopped.

So you could maybe get a passenger to pull down on the t-bar while driving.

I sorted mine out with a bit of silicone lube.

Thanks for the pointers!

It's at the garage now, and looks like a gearbox / differential problem. Apparently MR2 boxes have a pin inside that can occassionally snap. Anyone had experience of this? Dunno if I should get the box stripped, or just buy a 2nd hand low mileage gearbox? Any opinions? I know I can get a box from Fensport for £300ish incl VAT & Shipping.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links