Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Arch Scrub

Radtoy

I always pledged to get 16s and not go with the hassle of 17s but due to there being better deals on 17's and a much wider choice of rims, i think i'm going to take the plunge.

My question is....I've ordered Eibach springs for my YTS which lower 30-40mm. Where will I get the rubbing on my arches?

Will it be all 4 corners or just the back?

I dont carry any passengers in the back so thats not much of a concern.

just trying to budget for wheel arch mods as the wheels and suspension will cost me the best part of 800!

it will rub only on bumpy road. were in the uk so that might not be good.

ur best bet is to use 16"

plus with 17" 's ur gonna loose performance

and just springs aint ever good. Ur handling will suffer and ur ride will be way less smooth. but its up to u.

You may regret 17's with all the hassle of rubbing. Firstly is you lower it, even if you dont take passengers often, when the moment arises you may have to turn em down cus the car will sit on the wheel. Plus 17's need wider tyres so when turning it'll rub too.

wot offset are your 17's gonna be and wot tyre size with 205/40/17's and ET38 poffset wheels it shudnt rub at the back just the front, but mine rubs at the front lowered 55mm on 15's with 195/50/15's

it will rub due to the increase of tyre width

Let me get this right, Buy a set of cool 17's and the handling goes out the window ? If I leave the springs as they are, I get no rubbing ?

Decisions decisions!

i know aceleration will be slightly worse but its all the rubbing that worries me the most and it will need lowering as it will look stupidly high without!

16's are back in my head now. i assume these will be no hassle ET38 195/45/16?

When I fitted my 17" I went for 7x17 with 35mm offset. The reason I went with 35mm is that everyone else seemed to and also all the Japanese guys went with 35mm also. When we fitted the wheels I checked the inside clearance and there is plenty of room to go to 40mm at least.

On a lowered car by 30mm (MS Design springs) 7x17" wheel with 35mm offset and with 205/40 toyo Proxies (all tires although stating 205 width, can vary by 15mm between the brands!) will catch slightly on the front over big bumps and on full lock. The rear arches will catch just a little. From what I can see, it is catching at the top of the arch on an area about 8cm wide. I will be grinding this back this week. From what I can see from the arch and the marks on the tire, only needs about 3mm.

So from experience I can recommend:

7x17" 40mm offset with a 'slim' 205/40 17 tire (such as Toyo, Pirelli P7000) or even the Pirelli 195/40 17".

Then you will have minimal problems at the front (that won't really detract from day to day driving) and no problems at the back.

Al.

I've got scrubbage on 15"s with 195/45 Contis. That's with 15x7J ET38 wheels and HKS suspension.

It was really bad with 195/50 tyres though!

bum.jpg

Thanks Ninjin, thats really helpful.

I'm going to get the spring on first and borrow some 17s of my brothers golf before deciding (his golf ones are ET35 though)

When I fitted my 17" I went for 7x17 with 35mm offset. The reason I went with 35mm is that everyone else seemed to and also all the Japanese guys went with 35mm also. When we fitted the wheels I checked the inside clearance and there is plenty of room to go to 40mm at least.

On a lowered car by 30mm (MS Design springs) 7x17" wheel with 35mm offset and with 205/40 toyo Proxies (all tires although stating 205 width, can vary by 15mm between the brands!) will catch slightly on the front over big bumps and on full lock. The rear arches will catch just a little. From what I can see, it is catching at the top of the arch on an area about 8cm wide. I will be grinding this back this week. From what I can see from the arch and the marks on the tire, only needs about 3mm.

So from experience I can recommend:

7x17" 40mm offset with a 'slim' 205/40 17 tire (such as Toyo, Pirelli P7000) or even the pirelli 195/40 17".

Then you will have minimal problems at the front (that won't really detract from day to day driving) and no problems at the back.

Al.

you are right on the money there ---- i have 17" with 205/40/17 with a 35 offset and no rubbing at all :hokus-pokus: :thumbsup:

ill giv u a second view in about 2 hours..................

Wots all this then knightrider? :ph34r:

So wot rims u gettin?

Cheers :thumbsup:

stop bein cissys and get down past 60mm like me then youll be complainin! :D

MOT rules nowadays will fail u for any scrubage. id go with 16" lower it 30 - 40mm and get a 40 profile tyre. that way ur speedo wont be thrown off to much aswell. Multispoke wheels also look damn good on small cars. Fox 3 Evo's come in 16" size and fit yaris's and are very smart wheels for the money.

But its up to u.

Alot rubbing going on here. :eek:

Conclusion for me 17" on a t-sport no lowering, size 205/40/17 with ET at 35.

:D :D

Thank god Because I just bought a set and placeing them on this saturday, along with my Brows, from JAXX.

:bye:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links