Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Apexi Kit To 1l And New 1.3's

Moxy

Hey guys, after pondering about with my ind kit for a while, I figured out how to get it to fit. Instead of connecting directly to the air inlet, you remove the original air filter and cold air feed and plug it in to the box.

Any way here's what I did:

1. First Get a 70mm hose with a 45degree bend from Halfords. If you get the same one as me, then you need to saw about 10-12cm off one of the ends so it fits in the engine bay. (See pics)

2. Next connect the cone to the Apexi pipe just as you would normally (don't bother with the metal supports)

3. Now connect the unshortened end of the Halfords hose to the pipe with a clip. Make sure its nice and tight. You should be left with something like this:

1c.jpg

4. The more observent will notice that the hole for the air sensor is a problem since unfiltered air can easily get in. Cue a large role of strong heat proof gaffer tape :)

2c.jpg

5. Now to the engine bay...

Remove the cold air feed by undoing the bolt in the lower left of the bay, undo the two metal clips and take the front of the air box off. Now take out the orig air filter and keep in a safe place. Also undo the clip in the box so that you can remove the cold air feed. Likewise, store this in a safe place. Clip the front of the air box back where it came from.

6. Get your hose with the kit on the end and attach it the hole that the cold air feed connected to (in the 1.3L the hole is oval but it does'nt matter). Make sure you do the clip up tightly. Now if you get in to fit, the cone should actually sit on three thick electric wire with plasic insulation around them. They feel really strong and are enough to support the cone without any support arms.

Here are some pics of what you should be left with:

3c.jpg

4c.jpg

5c.jpg

In the last pic, you can see that the filter is far away from the really hot part (exhaust manifold? - Sorry not very good with terminology ;) ). However it is also quite far from the front so you'll probably need a cold air feed similar to the one I have seen in Lee's.

I find it pulls harder at higer rpm and the noise ... :drool:

Have fun!!!

@ Vmail - Yep, it works

@ SuperRetard - I hav'nt disconnected the MAF, it is still in its original place at the back of the airbox :thumbsup:

Very nice Stuart! That could have been on my Yaris aswell! Oh well just need to get an exhaust 4 some noise now!

Cheers :thumbsup:

I couldn’t live with a dirty engine bay like that!

It would drive me mad :P

Spot who is loosing performance doing that. Connect it up properly, u crazy fool. And u wont be laughing as particles of the tape shred and find there way into the engine then u have to rip aprt the block.

I would'nt have thought that gaffer tape was the right material to be using on the air sensor hole though.................. :eek:

Lee

Sorry, forgot to mention there is a rubber bung in the whole - the gaffer tape is just to secure it in place !!

• 2 months later...

sorry to dig up an old thread here... but hopefully moxy is still around?!?

just a couple of questions for ya, the hole where you joined the black pipe to the air box is not round! its sort of oval....how did you overcome this?

also, the original panel filter helps seal the airbox, if you just take it out the box does not remain air tight! ...how did u overcome this?

cheers

matt

Hi RFvitz,

Yeah I'm still around, just dont post that much :rolleyes:

I struggled with the oval hole prob as well but what you do is just tighten the clip around the hose really tightly and it will make an air tight seal even with the oval hole.

As for the other prob - the air box should be fairly air tight without the filter in (This is the way the pipercross kit is fitted as well). But what you could do is cut the middle part of the panel filter out and just fit the outer rim, that would give the same level of air tightness.

p.s. I've since got rid of the gaffer tape and rubber bung idea. I took an angle grinder to the metal pipe and grinded it so that the hose can slip up to the top and tightened it there instead. (Probably a better idea :thumbsup: ) Also got 2 cold air feeds!

Cheers

Moxy. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links