Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Calipers!?

GiJoe90

Does anyone know how to compress the rear caliper piston on the back of a G6R corolla? Got some new brake pads to fit but couldn't for the life of me get them on! Do I have to do something extra seing as the handbrake controls these too. I did have the handbrake off before anyone asks! :D

I think the rear calipers are the same or similar to those on the older 16v corolla as the brake pads are the same.

Joe

If they are the type I'm thinking of, they screw back in.

The face of the calipers will have a couple of notches in them to assist this (providing you have the right tools.)

Basically there is a screw thread inside the caliper, so the handbrake still works at optimum efficiency as the pads wear down.

( that's what they are like on mu Audi anyway, if the Corolla is totally different then I apologise for stealing a minute of your life reading this ) :P

Rich

Failing that, nip into any Halfords and you can pick up a tool to do that very job, called something like a G-Clamp for pushing the piston back in when changing pads.

Remember to pop a cloth round the brake reservoir to catch any excess brake fluid coming out when you push it through

Kev :)

Don't know about the Corolla's, but my MR2 had push-in pistons on the front and screw-in pistons on the rear.

If you are going to use a G-Clamp to push pistons in on push-in type calipers, then make sure you put an 18mm piece of ply-wood over the pistons - to stop damage caused by the metal clamp :thumbsup:

If they are the type I'm thinking of, they screw back in.

The face of the calipers will have a couple of notches in them to assist this (providing you have the right tools.)

Basically there is a screw thread inside the caliper, so the handbrake still works at optimum efficiency as the pads wear down.

( that's what they are like on mu Audi anyway, if the Corolla is totally different then I apologise for stealing a minute of your life reading this ) :P

Rich

Thanks for the replys folks :thumbsup:

They do look like they are the screw type ones. What special tool do I need or is it a garage job?

Cheers

Joe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links