Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Strength In Rear End Crash

Lbo

We have had our 2009 IQ2 for 3 months or so. On Monday we were hit from behind in traffic queue at lights. I was stationary, in gear and with foot on brake. Driver of van behind says foot slipped off clutch pedal and transit connect clobbered IQ. Rear plastic bumper scratched and shut lines with nearby panels now wrong. Bodyshop says crash structure behind plastic is now banana shaped and needs replacing but rest of car looks ok. Stiff necks for a few hours.

Has anyone else suffered a rear end collision? How strong is the IQ structure? Are there any opinions on how an IQ stands up to such treatment? Car now in Toyota approved bodyshop

Sounds like the rear crumple zone did its job.

Hi

Think there are some video's on the net showing the iQ under accident test conditions hitting a wall. Not sure about rear shunts. The car does have 9 airbags one of which is a toyota "curtain " airbag.

David

My son is always a bit concerned about me taking his young children in my IQ (My Grandchildren) due to the closeness of the IQ rear seat to the back of the car in the event of a rear shunt, I know there is a rear airbag but this is not something you can test is it !

I am aware there will be a rear crumple zone however it must be a smaller rear crumple zone than ones in cars with a larger boot ?

can't seem to find rear crash tests, but here is a front one.

David

An Idea - Possibly the reason you cannot find rear end shunt tests is because that is potentialy a weak point of IQ safety design ?

To be honest Bob. I couldn't find any for other cars either

David

Well, that video of a rear end collision was a bit out our league I am pleased to say! However, it backs up the notion that the car is well designed and spreads the impact well. I hope ours will be ok with new crash structure and paint and checking on a jig.

I don't think the rear seats are going to have our grandchildren in them......we will treat the car as a two seater! Thank you to all for replies

The rear of most hatchbacks are made incredibly strong due to the danger and proximity of rear passengers - In a shunt, the car doing the shunting almost always comes off worse as the front of cars are deliberately designed to have the durability of wet tissue paper to a) absorb impact force and b) Be more squishy for in case the thing being shunted is a pedestrian.

Still, if you are hit in the rear at speed or by something big like a lorry, there is only so much durability you can get out of steel and aluminium! :(

There is not enough room in a iQ to kiss your A**e goodby

David

Well, for some %$(in reason the video's are not working for me. Loads them, and then immediately stops and shows other vids to watch. WTF is up with that?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links