Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Camry: 6 Vs 4

Daedalus

Hi all! I'm looking at buying a 2004 Camry. I've tested a 2004 Corolla and I find they are just too small for my liking so that's why I'm leaning towards a Camry (I'm currently driving a 1992 Corolla which seems to have a lot more room than a 2004 Corolla). I live on the Canadian prairies (no huge hills or mountains to deal with) and I have no intention of ever towing anything with my new car. I like to do a lot of highway driving so a comfortable car is a must for me. What I would like to know is: is a 6 cylinder really necessary? I've tested the 4 cylinder LE and I found that it had plenty of power and passing ability, even while travelling at 100 km/hr. With the price of gas sky rocketing, I find it hard to justify getting a 6 cylinder these days. Does anyone have any comments/feedback regarding a 6 cylinder Camry and the 4 cylinder Camry? Considering that my current car only has about 102 hp, the jump to 157 hp seems to be plenty. Maybe I'm wrong....

Thanks for your time!

If you drove the 2.4 and found it perfectly adequate then go for that, personally I prefer the 3.0 V6 in the UK but if the 2.4 is enough then there is no need to spend more on the V6

with the price of gas sky rocketing

I know that in the US it's about $2 a gallon now, but please feel a little sorry for us in the UK who are paying the equivallent of $7 a gallon.

I live in Pittsburgh Pa. and have a 4 cyl. It has always had plenty of power for all of the hills here.

I almost forgot to ask; is the sport suspension on the SE that different from the LE? Yes, I know, I do plan on taking the SE out for a test drive, but since it isn't a true sports car, I can't see the ride being that much different. A rougher ride I could see on a Celica, but not the SE. Does a sport suspension offer more safety or less on a car? I don't plan on doing any racing or carrying heavy cargo with my car.

The V6 is good on the highway but it does use more gas, it also prefers premium gas over the regular, although you could get by with regular gas, but you will notice the difference in performance.

The V6 comes with the new 5 speed auto, which is not quite as smooth as the proven 4 speed auto in stop and go city driving.

Good luck with your new (4 cylinder?) Camry.

Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the automatic 4 cylinder Camry SE in titanium metallic. I found the ride a little bit rougher with the sport suspension as opposed to the LE, but I really like the gadgets on the SE. Nice to know that I have my priorities in order. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links