Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Personalised Number Plate

cokg2

Hi,

I have found a number plate that i want, and i going to buy in the next week. But can someone answer a few questions - DVLA site is toss

1) WHen i transfer the new number over, what happens to the old number

2) when i sell the car, and take the plate with me, how do i get a number on there again?

cheers all :thumbsup:

You can retain a number plate for 12 months which will cost £25. If after that time the plate isn’t registered on a car, you can pay another £25 for another 12 months, or it’s put back into the DVLA’s number plate store room!

When you sell your car with a cherished plate, prior to doing so you will have to re-register the car you are selling with an ordinary number which corresponds to the year of registration, that’s if you want to keep your number, the current assignment fee is £80.

If you allow your retention right to lapse you will lose entitlement to the number.

If you are buying a new car, the dealer will normally (in my own experience) transfer the registration for you as part of the deal. So instead of having an everyday plate, your new car has your cherished number.

I’ve had my own plate since 2000, and Toyota have re-registered my number at no extra cost to me on my current Yaris, and are doing the same on my T-Sport.

You will need Form V778/1 RETENTION OF A VEHICLE REGISTRATION NUMBER from your local DVLA office or from Swansea.

thats exactly what i was goign to tell you :)

so basically

i cant be bothered to pay £25 a year as im gonna keep this car, and give it to the girlfriend soon.

so when she comes to sell the car, she gets the dealer to transfer it over

I then pay £80 to get a new plate from DVLA. Do i not have to buy the plate as well?

You only pay £25 a year if the number isn’t on a vehicle, i.e; you have the plate but no car to put it on. That’s for a 12 month period.

If she part exchanges her car, the dealer will transfer the plate (registration) instead of using a number like AA04 ABC etc and provide the physical number plates with your transferred number on the new car.

If you buy a plate say for example for £1000, you have that for 12 months.

After 12 months and you haven’t used that number on a car, you can “Retain” it for another 12 months for £25.

If you register a car with you £1000 plate, there are no more charges.

You only pay:

£25 per year if the plate isn’t on a car, so nobody else can use it or buy it.

or

£80 to transfer from one car to another unless you are buying from a dealer where you can negotiate the price in the deal

or

Sell your cherished number at a profit...

yeah you need to buy a plate first. if its not going on the car straight away, the company you buy the plate off will either ask u to assign it to a vehicle or retain it for 12 months on a retention certificate. during that 12 months you can then transfer it onto your car at any point at no extra charge, to remove it, it will cost £80 and u will get an original style numberplate back onto the car. You will then have to retain it again or put it straight onto a vehicle.

have a look at www.newreg.co.uk there are plenty to choose from. but remember, you cant put a numberplate which is newer then your car on to it. ie. you couldnt put Y4 RIS onto a T reg Car, because thats actually a Y Reg plate (2001) and T Reg is (1999)

hope thats of some use to you

Danny

cool

The girlfriend wants

K4 HCJ

prob want mean anything to anyone, but

K = Kieran (me)

4 = well - FOR

HCJ - Hannah Chani Jane (my girlfriend of 4 years)

no surnames so its timeless.

Is this a hint from the mrs that i should be asking her something?

i know, been looking at for some time

the two i really want are

K6 RAY - my name is Kieran Gray

or

K13 RAN

ive seen K13 RNA for £250, but i dont any of those above would be available

K13 RAN isn’t available unless you find it from a private firm.

The problem with plates that spell names is that they cost a lot more... :crybaby:

No ones mentioned the dreaded retention cost!

This is when you have your private reg on your car and your going to sell it. You need to have your reg put on retention and this costs £105 then costs £25 a year as you have mentioned. For that price your old car gets its old number back or in some cases it is re-issued so they give you another one of same year instead.

When you get your new car your private reg can easily be put on with no extra charge.

If you are buying a new car from a dealer and you know your new cars reg it costs just £85 to swap.

I've done this 4 times now and its a PITA! Most recently on Friday afternoon when my yaris finally got my private reg!

so many replies

Right so this how i see it

Tomorrow i buy my plate for £250 (this includes VAT and the £80 assignement fee

I stick it on the car after filing in the current form

W609*** (the current plate) is then lost

3/4 years time when the yaris gets hacked in by here, she pays £80 to move the plate from the yaris to an aston martin or similar (lottery pendng)

DVLA put similar W plate back on the yaris for nowt?

More or less.

In 3 to 4 years time and you buy a new car, you can ask the dealer to include the plate transfer in the price as part of your ‘haggle’, and they will re-register your trade in and put your personal number on your new car

Toyota have done this for me twice without any problems :thumbsup:

and if the yaris is sold privately.

I have to pay £80 to shift the private plate

who then pays to get a plate for the yaris (w -reg)

sorry if im a bit slow, the boddingtons is talking

so its best to pay £25 a year to hold my current plate then, and just pay £80 to register it

when you pay your £80 to transfer the plate onto another car, this includes the cost of re-issue of a plate for the car that just lost the plate. Normally, this plate will be the one you originally removed in the 1st place.

So say you had v123 abc on the car and you changed the plate to Y4RIS, when in the future you decide to remove the Y4RIS plate to retention or onto another car, the yaris will be re-issued with the v123 abc plate.

Al.

It's simpler just changing your name to match your current registration number........and it only costs £15. :thumbsup:

L853 XCU

im crap with these reg plate sites!

can anyone help me if R013 ONE is available?

There probs is rob!! Thing is itl be taken, but a site i was on before had a list and you could put an offer in for peoples plates, quite cool! Just search around personalised number plate sites :thumbsup:

i would have thought it was pretty easy to get hold of cos its a 'normal' plate

just a little bit of doctoring and ROB 1 is mine!

didnt think they made

013, thought it would just be 13, they drop the 0 (so R13 ONE)

the closest match is

RO03 ONE £499 (new style plate)

cant have 03 as my cars a 52 :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links