Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suspension Knocking.

Corolla_XLI

:wacko: My car had been lowered 35mm on Gmax springs. I've used standard shocks with uprated lowering springs. I think the bump stops have been cut by 20mm as in the instructions by the mechanic when he was lowering my car.

When I go over bumps in the road, I can hear knocking noises from the side of the car when the wheel drives over the bump. I think it is the spring coils hitting against each other, as the mechanic who lowered my car checked all the bolts were tight a few times after taking the car for a test drive. He said that everything is installed correctly but found out that the rear anti roll bar was a bit loose due to rubber mounting slightly deterriorating.

Have any of you guys had the same experience with lowering the car on standard shocks?

Any help is appreciated.

:thumbsup:

My car was lowered on standard shocks. Had to have the front shocks changed as one of them was leaking. Made a knocking sound like you mentioned. The back ones sometimes rattle a little bit over bumps but I think it's because the spring is slightly different shape to the standard one.

I've got some uprated KYB shocks on the front now :thumbsup:

Joe

hi

i got the same with mine

i did put my hand round the back to find that at the bottom where the sping starts to coil up the spring there is about few mm space.

next time i change any supension parts i'll put the whole kit on spring shocks etc...

Corolla_XLI: I was going to lower my car last weekend, but ended up having to goto work. Anyway, I started to fiddle about with anti-roll bar link bars and just about had one of the back struts completely off. (then got phonecall about work, so had to put it back together again) I took the car out and I had a knocking sound from driver side rear strut. :unsure: I then had a look the following day and found that the link bar to the anti-roll was loose. I tightened this up and tested the car, its fine now.

This might not be what it is, but was in my case.

ross

its normally play in the anti roll set up but sometimes mechanics and the like forget to put the rubber pad back in under the coil, this causes the same knock when the spring is not under load (i.e. over a bump !)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links