Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Server 2003 Ent.

vmail

Ive got 2 PCs networked, both upgraded to Win 2003

PC1: P3, 550MHz, 128MB RAM, Onboard Sound

PC2: P4 HT, 3GHz, 2GB RAM, Onboard Sound, 600k Broadband, Printer, Scanner, UPS

had problems with PC1, ran services.msc and enabled the sounds

did the same thing to PC2, nothing happend so I installed the SoundMAX files and the sound still doesnt work. what can I try to fix it

also without enabling ICS, how would I get PC1 to use the net (I dont have a router/hub/switch)

the reason why ICS is off, is that IIS is on (with XP I couldnt use both of them)

and I need a virus scanner, avast does not like windows 2003, oh and I need a RAM Drive software

... I have shared the USB Printer, how do I share the USB scanner

...one final bug, if PC1 reboot the LAN is f**ked, I have to reboot PC2 to fix it, the repair network option isnt doing its job

I have got it, Ive logged in as root, but startx wont load the gui up, what do i do?

Which version of linux? and what happens?

also - id get rid of 2003 until more support comes out.

try a few things on the linux box

1. Check if the X font server is running.

2. Check if the font 'fixed' is accessible. use fslsfonts

3. Rebuild font list. under /etc/init run script xfs

J

did the same thing to PC2, nothing happend so I installed the SoundMAX files and the sound still doesnt work. what can I try to fix it

also without enabling ICS, how would I get PC1 to use the net (I dont have a router/hub/switch)

the reason why ICS is off, is that IIS is on (with XP I couldnt use both of them)

and I need a virus scanner, avast does not like windows 2003, oh and I need a RAM Drive software

...one final bug, if PC1 reboot the LAN is f**ked, I have to reboot PC2 to fix it, the repair network option isnt doing its job

Jesus thats a list :lol:

1st regarding your sound issue, may be a good idea to test another soundcard in the system to figure out if its the OS first.

There is software that you can buy which shares an internet connection without using ICS for example FreeProxy and PPPShare - Highly recommend.

I would recommend Norton Internet Security 2k3 as i havent had any problems running it on 2k3 server as yet and i find the security as well as the virus guard rock solid.

I dont like Ram drive software so i cant suggest anything there.

Sharing of a USB scanner? I've never really needed to do this. Most obvious way is to install the driver on both systems and hot swap as and when you need it.

In windows 98 if you had the problem of the LAN falling over you would set your most active machine as the master network browser under the TCP settings or something like that (havent got a win98 pc handy) so i dunno if you can possibly do this to PC2.

Phew, gonna go have a beer now :beer:

2. Check if the font 'fixed' is accessible. use fslsfonts

J

its SuSE 7.2

what you have just said means jack to me, have you got even more basic instructions, I booted up linux, loged in as root, then got to the command probpt, I want to get to the GUI

Jesus thats a list :lol:

1st regarding your sound issue, may be a good idea to test another soundcard in the system to figure out if its the OS first.

There is software that you can buy which shares an internet connection without using ICS for example FreeProxy and PPPShare - Highly recommend.

I would recommend Norton Internet Security 2k3 as i havent had any problems running it on 2k3 server as yet and i find the security as well as the virus guard rock solid.

I dont like Ram drive software so i cant suggest anything there.

Sharing of a USB scanner? I've never really needed to do this. Most obvious way is to install the driver on both systems and hot swap as and when you need it.

In windows 98 if you had the problem of the LAN falling over you would set your most active machine as the master network browser under the TCP settings or something like that (havent got a win98 pc handy) so i dunno if you can possibly do this to PC2.

Phew, gonna go have a beer now :beer:

dont havwe a soundcard, both system are onboard, the onboard does work, but not in win2003

2. Check if the font 'fixed' is accessible.  use fslsfonts

J

its SuSE 7.2

what you have just said means jack to me, have you got even more basic instructions, I booted up linux, loged in as root, then got to the command probpt, I want to get to the GUI

i cant at the moment - but ill sort something out tonight

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links