Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Clarification

quodus

Could someone settle a dispute my friend has got an Mr2 1996. He claims that its a turbo but he say it is 170 bhp. I doubt this very much as a turbo would be near 200bhp

is it an JAP/UK.US model car?

not sure about the power of the US tubby for this year, but the jap ones typically produced 250+bhp

The 170bhp figure is that of an N/A (well 168). So ur rite m8, ur pal won't have a tubby, and if he has at that power figure.....

-Z

power for all USA models were 200bhp, 1990- late 1992 turbos imported into the UK from japan had 220bhp and from 1993 they had 245bhp. As zero said, 170bhp is roughly what the NA models had after 1993.

Mines 173BHP and its not a turbo, so he either a numpty or its a very sick turbo.... :P

Up in the sticky section (top of main MR2 page) there is a post titled MK2 Revision Changes - all relavent info is in there :thumbsup:

My Rev2 was only 190 bhp due to a dodgy actuator..

It's now a healthy 250 ..

so maybe there is a "slight" chance his car could be a tubby...

quick tubby check is in order.

quodus:

look at the reg plate. if its a square shape its most likely and import, as only the jap cars were turbos.

look at the engine cover on his car. is it completely flat or are the bits in it raised? turbo has the raised vents.

these would be 2 quick checks, tho they are far from a guarantee as these can easily be changed.

-Z

Or just look for the turbo in his engine bay .. :)

Cheers guys youve given me all the info I need - knew it wernt a turbo but hey ho if it makes him feel better I will just let it ride - HeHe

Getting a generation 5 limited edition uk celica gt4 soon and I know thats got a turbo in it

THX

Quodus

and if he cant find the turbo cos the heatshield confuses him, just look for "TWIN CAM 16 CERAMICS TURBO" in big red letters on the injector rail. :thumbsup:

power for all USA models were 200bhp, 1990- late 1992 turbos imported into the UK from japan had 220bhp and from 1993 they had 245bhp. As zero said, 170bhp is roughly what the NA models had after 1993.

Apparently only the West Coast tubbies were 200BHP, in California and the like. In the rest of the 'States they were the same as the JDM cars.

Apparently only the West Coast tubbies were 200BHP, in California and the like. In the rest of the 'States they were the same as the JDM cars.

:blink: not that Im aware of......NO US-Spec MR2's had type III 3sgte's (245) theonly had Gen II versions right up to 1995.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

all the books I've read go on about them being 200bhp .. or the 2.2 NA ..

Agreed, all the info I've ever seen on the US cars says they never got the Gen III 3S-GTE and none of the cars were over 200bhp as standard.

whats the diffence between an mr2 non turbo and carlos sainz gt4 it terms of perfomance and 0 - 60 / 1/4 mile

Correct, they never got the 245bhp version, but they did get some 220bhp 3S-GTEs. 'Twas only the massive amount of emissions crap in California that cut them to 200bhp.

whats the diffence between an mr2 non turbo and carlos sainz gt4 it terms of perfomance and 0 - 60 / 1/4 mile

The turbo & 4x4 will eat a NA MR2 ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links