Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco Mode Fault (1.3 Manual)?

Andy Kay

Sometimes my iQ gets into a mode where it enters ECO mode (say at lights), and restarts the engine about 15s later without my feet being anywhere near the pedals, and without any unnecessary drains on the Battery (e.g. no lights on, no radio, no AC). Somebody else had this problem here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/131360-eco-mode-problem/

That was a while ago now, so I'm wondering if more is known now.

The system monitors the Battery, so say you have just done a few stops at closely spaced out traffic lights, the system will restart the engine if the voltage drops to its lower limit. Also sometimes after a few regular stops the system will just keep the engine running to prevent a low Battery situation.

I always switch off the ECO Mode now after my Battery dying at just under 3 yrs old. I also think the extra wear and tear on the starter is not worth the fuel saving. Actually since I have started switching the ECO off, I haven't even noticed a light increase in MPG!

PS, just read the link in the first thread, looks like I predicted my own Battery failure :death:

Thanks Soeley -- I'll put my Battery on trickle-charge for a couple of hours and keep ECO mode turned off in future.

Are there any precautions I should take before clipping the charger crocs onto the Battery terminals and switching it on?

Not that I'm aware of, not put the Battery on charge myself (that I can remember). Had to jump start it twice though :(

Don't think this is a fault, It's meant to restart if it needed to prevent a situation where it will not restart.

My iQ3 has the start stop and is now just over 4 years old and on the original Battery, still fires up instantly each morning and I keep the start stop enabled.

If it really bothers you there is an option in the software to turn the stop/start on or off. This should be a simple task for a Toyota dealer or you can do it yourself using OBD things available from eBay. There was a thread on here recently about those.

Craig.

Don't think this is a fault,

Thanks Craig, that's a relief all by itself. I've only had it six days and there's a lot to get used to for such a small vehicle. Sometimes I yearn for the good old days when you could just open the bonnet (hood) and get stuck in, but then I remember how often I needed to do that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links