Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rim Width Difference

DeusMR2

How important is it to have different rim widths (i.e. back 1" wider than the front). I know its vital that the back tyres are at least 20mm wider than the front but I'm not too sure about the rims.

for e.g. would it be ok to have say

205/45/17 front

225/40/17 back

both on say 8J ?

who actually has different size aftermarket rims here?? Reason im askin of course is that its a hell of a lot easier to buy a 4-rim package than get them seperatley.

I have the same size rims back and front mate, and tbh I think most people here do also.

well thats good news cos all this time ive been looking for places to get different sizes,nightmare!!!

I was going to get different sizes when I find an mr2, my mate that works in a performance car place didnt reckon it would be too difficult.

i have different size rims TOM's C7 split rims 8 inch front 9 inch rear in 16" diameter.

It should be no hassle to get different sizes, i.e if you bend a rim its easy to get a single replacement (well on my audi it was, BWA 17" Spikes, bascially kahn rsr copies), why should somewhere fuss about giving 2 and 2???

Two of you get together to buy the same style of rim and one of you buy 4 x 7" and one buy 4 x 8" and make two sets.

On the MKII different widths of front to rear tyre and wheel came from the factory like that. That doesn't mean you have to do it that way but it helps in the long run for performance tuning when you stick with the wheel/tyre combo that the factory created for the suspension geometry. If you can't stagger the wheels, stagger the tyres. Some dudes use the tyre size you mentioned on the same width of wheel. 205s and 225s will both fit nicely on a 7" rim width. Though it's not recommended, some people I know run 235s on a 7" rim and have for years with no problems.

cheers for the reply dudes, so far as i know, 205 and 225s on a 17"7J should be ok?

I got 16" split rims on mine, and I fink from the different dishes on them front to rear, they are 8 front and 9 rear, but I got 215/40 front and 245/45 rear tyres!! I porbably will never reach the breakaway limit of the tyres cos of their with, but they do look nice. The cars only an n/a.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links