Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Versus Manual

Panders

Hi everyone

Just entered the market for a second hand IQ to downsize from my RAV4 and have been looking at manual gearboxes to date but having driven 108 miles yesterday to test drive a model that the dealership had no intention if selling to us, I am looking closer to home and have seen a 1.33 auto within 20 miles of home! My reason for changing cars is the economy so any comments on the mpg of the auto versus manual? I know the 1.33 is going to make a difference anyway!

Many thanks

Pamela

Not much difference if any really, I loved the CVT auto when I took an IQ out as a courtesy car, and I used to have a Jazz with the same transmission. It used to do about 45mpg with a 1.4 engine. So yes, go for an automatic, you'll never regret it!

• Like 1

I would advise you to test drive both kinds first and make up you own mind. I have the 1.33 manual and love it, I did test drive a 1.0 auto first and wasn't all that keen to be honest, but others on here have the auto and love them. It is a very personal choice.

Some people seem to get good mpg with the auto, but many have complained they don't get anywhere near the advertised figures, could all be down to driving style and conditions though?

Different strokes for different folks re Auto (CVT) V manual,

I went for manual for these reasons:

Better MPG - I get 60+ MPG

More Relaibility ie Less to go wrong with manual

Downsides of manual: (Just my view):

With 1.0ltr manual you will be changing gear a lot in my view (due to less power of 1.0LTR engine)

----------------------------

So for me it was 1.0LTR Manual:

Best MPG

Less to go wrong

Zero UK Road tax

Thanks folks, chatting to a dealer today they said to stick with 1.0 manual for economy, but will probably test drive an auto too as suggested!

• Like 1

Just to add my input. I get around 48mpg with my auto and it doesnt seem to matter which way i drive it. Saying that i have 18inch wheels on mine and they are wide so some drag there. If i had waited and was aware there was a 1.33 available i would have gone for that. People on here are reporting over 60mpg on manual. Also if it was 998cc manual it would be Zero tax. My auto 998cc is £20yr. Acceleration from start in a Auto 998cc is not the best but does have a superb gearbox very smooth. So for lots of in town traffic i would go for an auto but for sometimg with a bit of connection with your driving then a manual. But test them. They are great fun to drive

David

• Like 1

We have a 1.0 litre auto and it's a cvt auto so no gear changes. It's not free to tax but car tax is only £20 a year or so.

The car is economical on a run but it isn't brilliant around town if honest. The main reason we got the car is because it's tiny and thus easy to park and the turning circle is amazing. It's not fast on a 0-60 but is ok for what it is. You can cruise at 70/80 on the motorway with surprising ease.

If you're just after economy then the manual is the one to have. If you're after a stress free city car that's easy to park and a joy to drive, then go for the auto.

This is the first auto my girlfriend has had. She'll never, ever go back to a manual.

• Like 2

Love the CVT and do not care for the MPG.... (compared to the old guzzler...all is way better) :-D

Today I had 5.9 liter on the 100 kilometers, after a long ride ... For you guys to do the math... and under the 5 liter per 100 kilometer is 'very' good...

Also driving a lot in the "S" stand / sports... this to warm up the engine better considered the "oil-goo"..

• Like 1

We have the 1.0ltr manual and found it quite easy to get used to after our 2.0ltr Auto Mondeo, and leagues ahead of it in economy. Something seems to be going on with it of late, MPG is down on what it normally is. In the car, on the Avg MPG it is showing less than 57 mpg, when up until quite recently it has remained steadfastly around 60mpg. The web site some of us use on here, Fuelly (https://www.fuelly.com/) keeps telling me I'm on 57.1 mpg, which I find great. Most of all I like, it is tax free! The less money paid to HMG the better, so that's why a manual against the auto for us.

Had it serviced recently?

The 1.0 manual with stop start is meant to use 0w20 oil. My experience from my Prius (which is meant to use 0w20 also) is that when the ever so slightly thicker 5w30 was inadvertently used, economy at the top end bombed. One wonders if some grease monkey decided to chuck in whatever was nearest? Or if you had it serviced away from Toyota they may have just used what they had. 0w20 oil is rare as hens teeth. You won't find it in Halfords.

Might not be this, but the hybrid forums are full of problems when thicker oil is used. 1 or 2 mpg difference in a 2.0 Mondeo was barely noticeable, but 4 or 8 mpg is noticeable in the modern super economical cars. They just can't get those top end mpg's with the slightly thicker oil.

We have the 1.0ltr manual and found it quite easy to get used to after our 2.0ltr Auto Mondeo, and leagues ahead of it in economy. Something seems to be going on with it of late, MPG is down on what it normally is. In the car, on the Avg MPG it is showing less than 57 mpg, when up until quite recently it has remained steadfastly around 60mpg. The web site some of us use on here, Fuelly (https://www.fuelly.com/) keeps telling me I'm on 57.1 mpg, which I find great. Most of all I like, it is tax free! The less money paid to HMG the better, so that's why a manual against the auto for us.

My 1 litre auto Aygo will have better MPG than your 2 litre Auto mondeo, so you can't really compare the two.

I have had automatics and enjoyed driving them, but I have gone back to a manual out of choice, I actually enjoy changing gears!!

I previously owned an IQ 1.00 and managed to get about 54 mpg with a mix of urban and some longer runs. I now have an IQ3 with the 1.3 engine and love it! I am getting about 47mpg but I do put my foot down more in this car as it can really go!!!

The 1.3 manual is a much more enjoyable drive than the 1.00, it feels more like a "proper" car.

In short, I have rediscovered my love of driving by switching from the IQ 1.00 to the IQ3 ........... great fun :yahoo:

• Like 3

Hurrah for enjoyable driving Suzanne ! :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an iQ3 auto and do a lot of town driving and in the warmer months it averages around 35 mpg and during the colder weather the same short runs make it average around 28 mpg. It averages around 55 mpg on motorway runs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links