Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back From Service - Car Now Beeps When Door Is Open..

Hairy Nugget

Cars overall seem more reliable, better rust resistance (when was the last time you saw a really rusty car?), and can achieve higher mileage, longer service intervals. But it seems nowadays a ten year old car is old? Surely cars of today should be on the road much longer but how often do you see a car older than that?

But it seems nowadays a ten year old car is old? Surely cars of today should be on the road much longer but how often do you see a car older than that?

Emissions might be a factor in that. The scrappage scheme five years ago grossly distorted the used car market, and I think we're still living with the consequences of that (I was a beneficiary of that scheme because the trade-in value of my friend's five year-old Mazda3 TS2 was abysmal, and I bought it from her at that price). Having said that, though, the guys who came to make a spare proxy remote for me made the point that the cost of replacing modules in the car if both remotes are lost, or if the locking system goes wrong, will render the car a write-off once it's about ten years old, and at that stage these new hi-tech cars will have no market value.

But it seems nowadays a ten year old car is old? Surely cars of today should be on the road much longer but how often do you see a car older than that?

Emissions might be a factor in that. The scrappage scheme five years ago grossly distorted the used car market, and I think we're still living with the consequences of that (I was a beneficiary of that scheme because the trade-in value of my friend's five year-old Mazda3 TS2 was abysmal, and I bought it from her at that price). Having said that, though, the guys who came to make a spare proxy remote for me made the point that the cost of replacing modules in the car if both remotes are lost, or if the locking system goes wrong, will render the car a write-off once it's about ten years old, and at that stage these new hi-tech cars will have no market value.

I agree you don't see old cars anymore, partly because new ones are quite cheap, and many people just pay monthly for there car and see it as a monthly expense, in the "old days" you saved up and kept a car almost forever !

I'm inclined to work out how long it will take for the car to pay for itself and amortize the cost over that period, so it "owes me nothing" so to speak when that period is up. I reckon the iQ will have paid for itself after three to four years, so hopefully won't get into serious repair costs before I can afford to write it off. Any problem-free time after that will be a bonus.

I'm inclined to work out how long it will take for the car to pay for itself and amortize the cost over that period, so it "owes me nothing" so to speak when that period is up. I reckon the iQ will have paid for itself after three to four years, so hopefully won't get into serious repair costs before I can afford to write it off. Any problem-free time after that will be a bonus.

I understand your point however for me cars don't pay for them selfs, they are just about how much money you wish to throw away to have one !

I understand your point however for me cars don't pay for them selfs, they are just about how much money you wish to throw away to have one !

Or can afford to throw away.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links