Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbags

tarquin

Hi all

After praising new cars reliability etc etc. within minutes my airbag light had lit up. Tried turning the engine off re-starting, no luck. Having remembered that some times the CanBus gets itself in a twist, i disconnected the Battery and waited half hour and re-connected. The light was still on. Further more whenever i disconnect my Battery and reconnect and try to start the engine, it seems to loose its default ECU map and needs me to drive the car at speed for about 20mins. In that time if i i have to stop at lights etc, the engine rev's drop so low it nearly stalls and is difficult to recover being a multidrive. Anyway by 20mins the map is re-built and all is well. Back to the Airbag, i connected my TIS software and interrogated the Airbag ECU for error codes. It found an error with the driver side Squib ( whatever that is). Saying it had a short to earth. After a lot of looking through the workshop manual,it describes in detail that it is either the bag under the steering wheel or the spiral cable ( so you can turn the steering wheel without trashing the wires) or the airbag near your knees. What it also said was that sometimes either bouncing relays or a sudden bump for 1/2 a sec can trigger an alarm. So i went back in and reset the code in memory and all is well.

So just thought i would let you know. These severe speed bumps can cause your Air bags to put a fault code in memory and you are likely to have to pay your dealer £75 to reset it

David

• Like 2

That is one to lock in he memory banks for future reference if needed. Thanks David

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links