Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Uk Should Be Ashamed Of Themselves!

Bishop Tricky

I know this is a long post... but please read it so others can be aware of Toyota UK's dodgy tactics.

On 31st March 2014 we purchased a brand new Toyota from a Toyota dealership.
But we couldn't take the vehicle that day because when the blower fan was turned on it sounded like a WW1 Bi-Plane, and the whole of the dash was shaking. So we left the vehicle at the dealership while the noise/shaking was investigated.

I had a call from the dealership on the Monday - 2nd July - and I was informed that there were leaves and twigs inside the ventilation system and that the noise/shaking was due to a Sycamore seed (Propeller) that was trapped in the actual vanes of the blower itself. (See attached photo's)

The next day I went and took delivery of the car and drove it home. The drive home was excellent, a 25 mile journey including 15 miles of the M25.

But when I got to my house and went to park it up... it wouldn't go into reverse, but there were no problems when I drove it around earlier in the dealership car park.
It finally went into reverse on the 5th attempt.
I rang the dealership and told them what had happened, but that I was going to take it for a drive tomorrow, as it was a new car and it might need to settle.

So the next morning I took my wife to the station in the new car, before I took it on a run. It was raining, but the auto-wipers didn't come on, then they did, then they stopped again, so I ended up using it in the normal way (manual settings).

When I got back home it wouldn't go into reverse again, but this time after many, many attempts... I had to drive across to the next road so I could park in a space that didn't require using reverse. I rang the dealership again and informed them of the problem.
But I decided to go and give it another try, and it went into reverse everytime. So I took it on a run.

The electrics were playing up... auto-wipers, auto-lights (they didn't come on for ages in an underground car park), gearshift indicator (it kept telling me to shift up while I was in a parking bay at Tecos with just the engine running and in neutral with the servie brake on), indicator lights would stay on, anti-trap window prefred to trap (r/h/s).
When I was driving it smelled like a clutch was burning, but it just so happened to be... the brakes!!
All four brake disks had blacked out (see photo) through over-heating, which was also confirmed by a Senior Mercedes-Benz technician (We both trained at Mercedes-Benz together many moons ago).

I rang the dealership and told them of all the problems, and then they arranged for the vehicle to be brought back to them via the AA that afternoon. (See attached photo)

After a bit of investigation it turns out that the car was delivered from Japan in February 2013, and it has sat at Portbury Dock car pound since last March 2013
Which means it has sat through two of Bristols worse storms in the last 100 years, plus all of the flooding.

This is what the car needs to be put back to how it should be.... tyres x 4, brake disk rotor x 4, brake pads all round, alternator, auxillary drive belt at least 10 rusty hose clips (Water and Air), and a full service, including all fluids. (see attached photo's)
The gearbox problem was a twig that was caught between the gear selector cable heads on top of the gearbox.

Toyota UK were informed by us, and the dealership, of the problems with the car.
Toyota UK informed us that nothing could be done until a Toyota Engineer had seen the vehicle and made a report on his findings.
Toyota UK informed me that an Engineer would be attending the dealership the following Wednesday 11th June to view the car and make a full report.

On Wednesday 11th I recieved a call from the Toyota Engineer, he told me that he had seen the car and that he was on his way back to his base to make out a report, and that Toyota UK would be in touch with me later that day.
Toyota UK called me and said that there was going to be a meeting the next day to discuss the problems with the car, and that I would be called sometime in the afternoon to let me know what the outcome was.
I ended up calling them late in the afternoon the next day because they hadn't called me. I was informed that the meeting hadn't taken place, and that it had been moved to the next day in the afternoon, and that I was to wait for their call, but if they hadn't called me by the end of the day I was to call them on the Monday to be told the outcome of the meeting.

I rang Toyota UK on the Monday morning and was told that they would not supply a new replacement vehicle, and that all they were willing to do was cover the cost of the parts and labour.

The dealership were not happy with Toyota UK's decision either, so to make things right the dealership has bought another vehicle from Toyota UK out of their own pocket, to replace the vehicle that Toyota should have supplied by consumer law.

By the way.... The reason Toyota UK do not have to supply a new vehicle is because after all of their delays.... the "14 day cool off period" had expired.

Toyota UK should be ashamed of themselves for the way they have carried on. We will never buy a car from Toyota UK again.

But that doesn't mean we won't buy another Toyota, because we probably will, but the next one will be a late used one with low milage.

post-141446-0-68999800-1403176944_thumb.

post-141446-0-03274200-1403176952_thumb.

post-141446-0-91677000-1403176960_thumb.

post-141446-0-65271400-1403176971_thumb.

post-141446-0-27076300-1403176980_thumb.

post-141446-0-15391600-1403176990_thumb.

post-141446-0-58201600-1403176999_thumb.

post-141446-0-52586300-1403177012_thumb.

post-141446-0-07555000-1403177022_thumb.

post-141446-0-61953700-1403177032_thumb.

Ugh, that's pretty bad, esp. since I'm sure the cooling-off period won't apply here since the car sold was clearly not fit for purpose, plus if you initiated the claim within the cooling-off period it should still count - It's their fault if it goes over due to them dragging their heels!

But massive kudos to your dealer for stepping up to make it right! Deffo deserving of a plug! ;) I know the dealer nearest to me would never do anything so generous!!

Are you all sorted now then? Got a nice shiny non-storm'd car? :)

I did try and explain this in a previous post you put up about the car

It is quite correct, Toyota do not have to replace the car (not what you want to hear) but they do have to put it right which is what they are going to do isnt it? You have rights in law, Toyota are well aware of that, but sometimes exercising those rights can be time consuming, difficult and not without up front costs. You bought the car from a dealer, your contract for purchase is with the dealer NOT Toyota, so it is no wonder the dealer is jumping through hoops, they are the ones responsible as your contract lies with them, no wonder they are pulling out all the stops for you. In fairness, they should never have supplied the car in that condition, they know that, and that is why they are super dealer right now

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

looks like I was lucky with my new Aygo, but then I had to do an order fresh from the factory end of January and picked it up middle of March because it had particular things I wanted on it and its MMT transmission.

• Like 1

Parts King is correct - the fault lies with the dealer. Legally the contract of sale is between yourself on the dealer, and under the Sale of Goods Act, the dealer is responsible for any rectification. See the extract from Which? below:

"Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Fit for purpose means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (eg. if you asked specifically for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in-store, or any description in a brochure.

Your rights are against the retailer - the company that sold you the product - not the manufacturer and you must make any claim under the Sale of Goods Act against the retailer.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 doesn't apply to goods bought under Hire Purchase - instead the Supply of Goods Act Implied Terms Act 1973 applies, which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of goods, and gives you slightly different rights."

• Like 1

Moral of this story:

Buying a new car is possibly the most expensive purchase many people make other than buying a property.

So:

Don't get emotionaly tied up with the all excitement of driving away in your new car !

Do not just TRUST your dealer, check everything yourself, do it quickly, (within 14 days, some items need careful checking out before you start) get independant advice if you are unsure, get recomendations before you choose a dealer, spend hours on Google checking your rights in advance of taking decisions, become fully informed before you start ! Make it clear to the dealer up front you will become the biggest "PAIN IN THE BUM" they have ever seen or are ever going to see ever if they do not double check everything they do for you. Record all the telephone conversations and meetings you have with your dealer, plus put everything in writing, and send all letters registered delivery. Ask lots of questions and if you feel uncomfortable in any way at all just WALK AWAY before you sign on the dotted line !

What have I missed ?

The above should "if carefully done" lead to preventing any disapointments, and or any potential miss understandings.

If your dealer does a good job, tell them so in writing, and just say "thank you"

Look the dealership principle straight in the eye and give him the positive feedback he deserves !

If you are unhappy and they let you down in any way you will have all the info you need to deal with the issue.

Finally - After you have prepared correctly you can CHILL and let the process you have established do the work for you !

• Like 1

I kind of agree with what has been said here, preparation before buying is essential, even though I have never bought a new car. However, the main thing is that regardless of the mistake made by the dealer in the first place -as in allowing such a wreck to be sold in that condition- they are at least making good their promise of handing over to you a new car. BUT Paying attention to the above with the new car before accepting it from the dealer. I would explain to them that under the circumstances you would like to check it out, but that your decision to do so is nothing for them to worry about, saying it with a 'sincere' look on your face, even if you don't feel so good about it. This dealer clearly wants to make amends, and that goodwill could last for the life of the car, and that has to be worth it. Just my unprofessional opinion.

I kind of agree with what has been said here, preparation before buying is essential, even though I have never bought a new car. However, the main thing is that regardless of the mistake made by the dealer in the first place -as in allowing such a wreck to be sold in that condition- they are at least making good their promise of handing over to you a new car. BUT Paying attention to the above with the new car before accepting it from the dealer. I would explain to them that under the circumstances you would like to check it out, but that your decision to do so is nothing for them to worry about, saying it with a 'sincere' look on your face, even if you don't feel so good about it. This dealer clearly wants to make amends, and that goodwill could last for the life of the car, and that has to be worth it. Just my unprofessional opinion.

I have bought over 40+ years approx 10 new cars and many second hand ones, and used my "guide list" (as per my above post) all over Europe and in Africa it has worked every time for me and I have never had a problem that was not very quickly resolved.

Just sounds like poor dealer prep. Name and shame?

What happened with this issue, how did it get resolved ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links