Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Shelf

breezer

Just wanting some advice on making a custom rear shelf. What type of wood should i use? Etc etc!!! Also how would you make the little grooves for the actual shelf to slot on!!

MDF 6mm?? That a good type of wood to use or not?

Cheaz :thumbsup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• breezer

• Kerby

• jaxx

• john23

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know much about this stuff, but you could use a dremmel tool (spelt wrong) to make the slots :thumbsup:

Hmmmmm just a small groove for the plastic knob to slot into!!! I am making the shelf so it gos right to the back of the seat. Doing this coz im sick of those stupid flaps which stick on via velcro - hate them!!!

if your fitting Speakers then at least 10mm

it needs t be very sturdy, 6mm over that distance will sag

Yeah MDF would be the best material to use but my 6x9's are just on the standard shelf and seem okay!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Jaxx is right in that 6mm MDF will sag, probably even without Speakers fitted on the shelf.

I used 12mm (1/2 inch) MDF for my shelf, and even with that thickness you will still need some extra support. I ran an 18mm strip, about 2 inches deep along the back of the shelf to give it extra support. I continued the support strip round on to each side, and then cut grooves into the support strip on each side using a jigsaw for the plastic bits to go into. Measure the depth carefully before cutting so that it all sits level when you're done.

There are a couple of pics of mine on my homepage-

http://www.johnspanton.co.uk/yaris.html

I'd be happy to take a few more pics if you want to see it in more detail.

Cool!!!! 10mm, hmmm!! Yeah il get sum of that, and probably sum of that type of wood thats usually used on the back of draws etc.... Its flexible and i can put it on the curved bit so itl hide the wires etc etc!!! Also another reason to replace my standard shelf is because it creaks everytime i go round corners :ffs: its really annoying, i have no idea why!!! I put 10cm Speakers in (two of them), and its started creaking from then! But for a while i put them in the front and the standard ones in the rear shelf to fill the holes - it still creaked! so then i took Speakers out and jus left it with nothing in the holes - and it still creaked :censor: :ffs: :(

Also, somehow i dont think il need extra support. You needed it obviously with all those in ya shelf :lol:

If you can find the offending part of the shelf that creaks, then a bit of WD40 might sort it out.

jaxx and john, wot do u do with ur speaker wires? Wot could i do with mine, i want 2 attach them 2 the underside of my shelf but i dunno how or wot i could use? Its the standard fibreglass shelf!

Cheers :thumbsup:

ive got an mdf backboard on mine and i just use small staples and the wires then go behind the rear trim and disappear down there to the boot floor and then reappear

Well when iv made my custom shelf, im gona cut grooves into the underside so the wires can slot in all the way to the end!!! :thumbsup:

breezer - the creaking is pobably the tailgate, i had that

Its annoyin isnt it :angry: Lol! Just gota find sum dark black ICE carpet, that shud do the job for covering it. One i have got on sub box is apparently black, looks grey to me :wacko:

didnt know MDF came in 10mm, Ive got 18mm, is that a bit over the top?

didnt know MDF came in 10mm, Ive got 18mm, is that a bit over the top?

no 18mms even better

id ideally recommend 18mm as that mega strong and youll get no 'bounce' or vibration

you dont want to go any thicker as it will start to get heavy

I had the tailgate creak as well when I first had mine - my dealer sorted it out by padding out the tailgate rubber seal a little bit with some foam or something (under warranty). Easy way to test it would be to take the whole shelf out and see if the creaking goes away.

I screwed a few small curtain hooks into the shelf, and then attached the speaker wires to the hooks using cable tidies - keeps it all nice and tidy :) I also fitted a connecter plug to the speaker wires at the end of the shelf so I can easily take the shelf out if required without having to disconnect the speaker wires from the amp (which is elsewhere in the boot). My shelf is MDF though, and I'm not sure if the standard shelf would be thick enough to screw curtain hooks into - staples might be the best bet if your wires aren't too thick.

As far as covering the shelf goes, try to find some acoustic cloth rather than using sub box carpet. The cloth will stretch a little bit which means u can get a nice tight fit over the shelf and the cloth won't sag over the speaker holes (if the Speakers are mounted under the shelf). The carpet can easily be attached to the underside of the shelf with staples. I tidied up the edges on the underside on mine using some strips of thin pine sprayed silver. I used carpet on the first shelf I did (on a previous car) and it ended up sagging over the speaker holes :(

Should be fine as long as its stretchy. The stuff to avoid is the carpet that won't stretch and ends up sagging over the speaker holes :(

Sagging?

warp, bending

or older womans !Removed!

hey breezer ive those pics for ya

3-picture1.gif

3-picture2.gif

i used 12mm thick mdf and ive had it installed 2 months now and it hasnt started saggin yet (crosses fingers)

Niceeeeeeeeeeee! Big Sub ey,lol!

Whats the Max and Rms of it? and what amp ya got

Alpine SBS-1241BR 200W rms / 350w peak 12" 30 cm high performance subwoofer

infinity reference 9603i

Power Handling, RMS: 100 Watts Power Handling, Peak: 300 Watts Sensitivity: 92dB Frequency Response (±3dB): 46Hz - 21kHz Cut Out: 154x226mm Impedance: 4 Ohms

not too sure on the amp tho the box is in the loft and i cant find it on the site where i got it from now

will let u know when i find out tho ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links