Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2Nd Gear Vibration

kash123

Hi,

I recently brought a 2011 IQ2, I have noticed when slowing down for speed humps or turning in 2nd gear and then trying to pick up speed again the car tends to vibrate and feels gutless for a couple of seconds. Is this a normal characterisitc of the 1L or should i be concerned?

Thanks

I recently had my 1L iQ serviced and a set of new front brake pads fitted. The mechanic took the car out for a test run and noted a similar vibration in our car. I have always taken this as a natural part of the 3 cylinder manual geared combination. Lets face it, the engine is weedy compared to other small engines, like a 1.2 VW Polo -I only use that as reference as I am using one at the moment and it has quite bit of torque in comparison.

This is the first car below a 2.0 -petrol or diesel- I have owned for some time, and the lowest was a 1.3 Mk1 Capri. The thing is, this mechanic wanted to investigate it further, but as they had the car for two hours already said they would investigate this near the end of October when it goes in for an MOT. Don't know what they will discover so patience required on my part. Will post on forum any update to this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, car passed MOT which is great. They didn't check out the vibration issue, but I think, in most cases, it is because of the weedy 1.0L engine. On the way back from Cheshire this afternoon, a new vibration started. It sounded like something in the passenger side door bin, yet nothing in there that would cause it. Checked the vanity mirror -as this has been the cause of some 'interior noise.' Also checked the rear (load) area for anything, nothing. So, like that old Toya Wilcox song, I'th a myth-terry!

Edited by Guest

My car has recently had rear disc and pads changed before I purchased it, I doubt that could be anything to do with it?. Im going to pop into toyota tomorrow and see what they say, but as mentioned I also think it may be a characteristic of the 3 pot engine.

My IQ does this, and it has the EGR replaced with modified type, it only happens if I am in a high gear and revs are below 1500 RPM I just change down a gear and it is then OK, I think this vibration is a feature of 3 cyl engine at very low revs with high load.

Just my view.

Yours may be a different issue ?

No, my IQ does this when revs are over 2k, e.g. if im in third and change down to second to build up speed it will vibrate as if im in the wrong gear when I know I aint.

Definitely think I have a problem.

No, my IQ does this when revs are over 2k, e.g. if im in third and change down to second to build up speed it will vibrate as if im in the wrong gear when I know I aint.

Definitely think I have a problem.

Different issue to mine then, is it specific Rev's related, gear related, speed related ?

Happens in second around 20mph and sometimes third at about 30mph at 2k + revs.

I seem to remember a seperate post on this forum about vibration at 2k rev's anyone remember ?

I seem to remember a seperate post on this forum about vibration at 2k rev's anyone remember ?

Yes I did find that thread but there wasn't any solution mentioned.. I have it booked into Toyota on Thursday so hopefully they find the cause!

My problem when going over speedbumps is that I typically have to drop down to the 1100-1200 rpm area (2 gear) as to not "jump" on the bumps.

If it is uphill, you can clearly feel that the engine does not like being made to work in this rpm area, it "bogs" hard until it reaches 15-1600rpm again.

I blame this on the (in my opinion) waaaay to long gears for a city car. I mean, doing 65mph in second is no problem, but it does make the car gutless,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links