Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old/new User And Rev 2 Tubby Info

RichB

Hello all,

I used to post here some time ago when I ran a G-Ltd. Sold it a year ago, and now am looking at coming back into the MR2 scene with a Rev2 GTS Tubby Hardtop.

Looking at where to go with this, it already has a TRUST exhaust (cat back), but this is the only performance mod. (it also has rev 3 tail lights and AVS alloys).

Looking at the induction filter test the Apexi appears to win hands down, so it look slike the early model Apexi filter is the way to go. Has anyone fitted one of these on a <rev3. I am worried about !Removed! around with the AFM.

The only other mod I considered really was after the above was done having a Unichip fitted. I know from having a read that a couple of you have had these fitted with success, however, from other research it appears that the MR2 isn't really designed to have such a module fitted, rather an exchange ECU. Has anyone run a Unichip for an extended period of time, and what were the findings?

Would hope to see 260+ bhp from that lot?

Comments?

cue jimlad whos had both Apexi and unichip and will no doubt rave about them :P :D

Dont worry about installing an Apexi mate, its very popular for a good reason. I myself am gonna fit one later on to my rev 2 tubby

Have a look at the link above my pics mate, there you can see what mods I have.

The Unichip is a great peoce of equipment and the MR2 Tubby is one of the cars that sees the best resluts from the chip. I got 275BHP from all my mods and would have had possibly slightly more if my actuator hadn't gone slightly soft.

Also with the Unichip you can sort out any fuelling issues that you may normally get with a AFM car if you fit a BOV.

No probs with the Apexi Induction Kit... is the best out there for rev1 and 2's.

Nice cars chaps!

So it looks like I should order the Apexi then - is there a better deal than from MTTE - £96 + shipping? When you fitted it, did you have to do away with the AFM, or does the kit work around this?

I was wondering about the acutators on these actually - The car I am buying is a genuine 45000 miler so the spring shouldn't have gone too soggy, but I would assume by getting a Unichip and upping the boost, an uprated acutator should be on the shopping list somewhere? How good is the standard one?

As for the Apexi... I didn't fit it, the garage did.. so can't help you there. I've dealt with MTTE in the past, that's where I got my Apexi from. Good chaps.

For the actuator... my car is on 45,000 miles at the moment, but mines has gone a bit soft. I'm looking at getting a larger turbo etc in the future anyway, if I wasn't I would be getting an uprated actuator from fensport. They go soft basically because of the amount of heat generated by the turbo.

Excellent How-To, have bookmarked that chaps site - somewhen will read his entire rebuild story.

Looks like its a bit of an effort to put it on, but probably worth it. Might ask if the chap who is importing it can do it before I get the car.

Has anyone has problems with ropey idle due to hot engine bay. - I thought a good feature of the design is the chrome heat shield .

I was just reading Fensport and their basic tuning package uses a fuel cut defenser - I assume the Unichip as part of its mapping takes care of all fuelling needs?

yeah.. the unichip will take care of that for you.

I have a bit of a funny idle from time to time... but still havn't sussed it out yet. Coming to think of it, it was on hot days.... any ideas?

Apexi is childs play .. have a look for a post I made about cheap ones .. under £100 if I remember from Apex Performance?

The chip works well .. but I've not gone that route .. AVC-R.

I've got 250bhp with my mods (pre WI and AVC-R), but with a little boost increase (the car will take it easy) I should see a lot more.

Click my car below for the mods list ..

If it was fine before the Apexi was fitted it is probably due to hot air from the engine going through the Apexi.

mmm....

I'm getting it to a few garages soon for them to have a look at, as toyota just weren't very sure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links