Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Computer Help Needed Please !

Jimlad

Ok... for some reason when I goto open a notepad file it attempts to access the internet.

Destination IP : 193.189.244.197

If I allow it it then attempts to allow "Installer" to access the net.

IP 127.0.0.1 Port 3295

Apllication FC98.tmp.exe

I obviously don't allow this as I don't know what the heck it is.

Now I can't get notepad files to open with notepad because it keeps on doing this. It's trying to use a program called notepad.exe in Windows/System32/ folder which was modified last night.

When ever I try to get the notepad files to use notepad.exe in c:/windows/ for some reason it won't, and still reverts to the other one. I can't delete the one in the system32 folder as it won't let me, but obviously it's not really notepad. IT doesn't have the proper icon etc.

Any suggestions ?? I let my flatmate use my computer and the suspicious notepad file seems to have appeared when he was on it. That's why I hate letting others use my pc.

Any help greatfully received !!

ta

I've deleted the file association for txt file types.

But when I attempt to select files of this type to be opened with c:/windows/notepad.exe it still reverts to the other notepad file.

Proper notepad file is 64.5k, the suspicious one is only 4k....

but for the life of me I can't delete the bugger !! I've scanned it and it's not a virus etc, but it is trying to do something... I just can't delete it tho.... :(

help... I'm gonna cry.

run virus scanner, you may need to delete the file in safemode

run virus scanner, you may need to delete the file in safemode

virus scanner doesn't pick it up... it is trying to connect somewhere and run "installer" or something.

check ur processes 2 make sure thats its not currently running. then try deleting it.

if that fails type "msconfig" (sans quotes) into the run menu then go into startup and uncheck nething that looks suspish. if ur unsure of owt in there take a screenshot and post it up m8, wither that or get on msn now, lol

u may have to delve in2 the services also, but i doubt that. so dont go there... yet...

Edit:

forgot to add that a reboots needed after editing the msconfig, u prolly got a prompt for that neway.

-Z

Edited by ZeroBlade

Mr Safe mode worked fine... fiddle about for a few mins and notepad files now work.

Stupid ruddy rogue program !!!

Question....

Is it possible to set up an account for my flat mate where he can log on etc and have his own personal space for HD and I decide what programs he can run etc?

Is this possibe?

Think I had this...

Can you re-route your notepad icon (in the start menu) so it goes to the proper notepad?

You may have things running in your processes like someone mentioned, close all the ones you don't know.

If those dont work. Move the file thats trying to connect & see if it brings up an error if it still tries to run, if it doesn't delete it (but leave in your bin JIC). Can't think of anything else ATM, but no doubt something will spring to mind :thumbsup:

no worrys I got rid of it.

Trying to creat an account for my flat mate now. Have created it etc.

Now whenever I click on "change the way users log on and off" or "switching users" in the user account options it closes down... grrrr !! ... lol

Not fun.

i'm glad thats sorted jim.

and yeh u can have VERY strict access controls on XP via the group policy editor. Altho i'm unsure if this is an XP pro only feature.

There's a fair bit of settings u can change. here's a link to a quick setup guide:

http://www.techtutorials.com/tutorials/xp/...ng_groups.shtml

Altho you'd be best off reading up on the net, and setting EVERYTHING exactly to ur spec.

I've got one of my public pc's setup like this. no one can do nething that would jepordise the system. can't run owt i dont want them to, disk quotas etc etc.

-Z

ok.. I created an account for him. He can't save anything anywhere other than his little "My Documents" folder.

But he can run the programs as normal which is ok.

So that will do for now... will have a good read up of that link in the future tho mate... thanks.

np m8. always gud to set up a very restricted account for other people. u never know what they get up 2... <_<

-Z

Zeroblade take a look at my computer problem would u please! Btw wot do u do at uni? Something computer related? I do computing but i can't fix any of my own problems!

Cheers

i'll take a quick read of the thread l8r on 2nite m8, in a bit of a rush these days, hence only get a chance to quickly scan the first few posts!

erm i'm doing a bsc hons multimedia computing course : northumbria uni, not bad actually. theres design work in there but a lot of programming etc, i like it but most people seem to quit the course cos its put across as all design practically so poeple get a rite shock when they start the 2nd year!

-Z

Zeroblade take a look at my computer problem would u please! Btw wot do u do at uni? Something computer related? I do computing but i can't fix any of my own problems!

Cheers

in computing you dont lean how to fix thing, you was only fix error if you have a loty of experience, (and dont kick the PC when it isnt working)

Get him to use the guest account, not much your able to do with that. Good starting block :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links