Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cops Are To Use New Speed Guns

Bearcat

Just read this artical elsewhere and thought I would pass it on.

prolaseriii-small.jpg

COPS are to use speed guns that can trap unwary drivers more than A MILE away.

The move provoked fury last night among motorists who already feel victimised.

They claimed the high-tech gadget was yet another sneaky way of making money from them.

The long-range ProLaser III uses laser and video technology to record offenders.

prolaseriii-large.jpg

It is designed to foil people who slow down for conventional roadside cameras then accelerate afterwards.

ProLaser will zoom in on cars at a distance of 2,000 metres.

And the video quality is so good that it closes a loophole sometimes exploited by unscrupulous motorists.

Their faces will be recognisable so police can tell who was at the wheel.

Manufacturers of the ProLaser III boast: "Drivers simply don't have a chance".

The £8,000 cameras have the potential to raise millions for local safety partnerships which operate them and could lead to thousands of motorists losing their licences.

In 15 per cent of areas cops will not even have to put up warning signs.

Paul Smith, of campaign group Safe Speed, said: "We think speed cameras are making things more dangerous because drivers are looking for cameras not hazards."

"There is financial motivation for the safety partnerships because each year they increase their empire so each year they need more revenue to support the growth of their empires."

Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation, said: "There is a role for cameras if they target areas where accidents are happening."

"Where we do have a problem is where technology is replacing traffic police. "

Recent research from the Transport Department on the cause of accidents showed excessive speed was number seven in importance.

"Number one was inattention, which might be drivers looking out for speed cameras."

Dorset will be one of the first counties to introduce the ProLaser III next month.

But the local Police Federation was concerned the cameras would further erode public confidence in the force.

Clive Chamberlain, the organisation's Dorset representative, said: "One of our primary objectives should be to provide public reassurance by high visibility policing."

"I don't know how much an even more covert camera will do towards enhancing this objective."

The Dorset Safety Camera Partnership denied it was another money-spinning scheme and claimed it was designed to save lives.

Project manager Johnny Stephens said: "Our overriding priority is to reduce the number of casualties on Dorset's roads."

The cameras are made by Kansas-based Kustom Signals Inc.

The firm says the 3lb units are light enough for police to use with pinpoint accuracy and without becoming tired.

Ifa Trodd, managing director of UK distributors Traffic Safety Systems Ltd, said: "The ProLaser III represents the latest technology in laser speed detection technology and has a high performance."

Source: The Sun

Which detector was it that fools the laser cameras??

I wish they spent as much time chasing damn theives :angry:

i read somewhere that because of the curvature of a 2's bonnet, a laser or radar wave cant reflect properly when sent from in front of the car and the reciever reads an astronomically high reading (1000mph+) which police obviously have to disregard...having said that, i aint gonna test that theory out :P

I think you are referring to a Target LRC 100 Laser Diffuser as reviewed here:

Laser Jammer

Oh yes dat'll be da kiddie :yes:

You'd have 5 seconds to slow down, if that is not enough then to be fair you were going too damn fast, but unless you fit two you are only protected going forwards.

But, the price is only one hefty speeding fine and insurance increase isn't it :D

Laser Jammer

that would be illegal

so thats what the piggies are doing on every bridge

When is this going to stop?

Satelite tracking of all cars, linked to police computers that know exactly where you were and how fast you were going - instantly issuing a speeding fine to your door - there you go, an even easier form of raising funds.

Or perhaps they'll limit all cars to 70mph, perhaps even 60... however there wouldn't be significant funds raised from that method anyway.. scrap that idea.

This is pathetic - Most speed cameras are placed to raise money, there is a stupendously ridiculous one near me on a TIGHT BEND - you wouldn't even contemplate doing 60 there anyway!!!!!

Why don't they put them near schools and such, where speed limits should be enforced?

So if all those money raising cameras aren't enough, now we've got to contend with being caught a mile away from any given point you're at - wonderful.

Why not just add 3 points to everyone's license straight away? that'd be easier - and it'd raise more money, faster.

Sam.

When is this going to stop?

Satelite tracking of all cars, linked to police computers that know exactly where you were and how fast you were going - instantly issuing a speeding fine to your door - there you go, an even easier form of raising funds.

Or perhaps they'll limit all cars to 70mph, perhaps even 60... however there wouldn't be significant funds raised from that method anyway.. scrap that idea.

This is pathetic - Most speed cameras are placed to raise money, there is a stupendously ridiculous one near me on a TIGHT BEND - you wouldn't even contemplate doing 60 there anyway!!!!!

Why don't they put them near schools and such, where speed limits should be enforced?

So if all those money raising cameras aren't enough, now we've got to contend with being caught a mile away from any given point you're at - wonderful.

Why not just add 3 points to everyone's license straight away? that'd be easier - and it'd raise more money, faster.

Sam.

too right.

Expert Physocologists say that looking out for cameras is unsafe as we are not looking for hazards we are su;pposed to be looking for.

Even if we did limit cars to speed limits - according to experts physcologists - they say that we would be "bored" and wouldnt concrentarte as much - therefore being more of a danger....

Expert Physocologists say that looking out for cameras is unsafe as we are not looking for hazards we are su;pposed to be looking for.

Of course if you were sticking to the limit you wouldn't have to look for cameras would you.

Personally, if cameras can be proved to save one life, then IMO they're worth it.

I'd like to see the device which limits your speed to the local limit. Don't make it compulsory, but give a big insurance or tax discount to those that fit one. No worries of a fine and you save money to boot!

Laser Jammer

that would be illegal

So is computer hacking.

Folks do it

Some folks claim to do it

**** happens

I'd like to see the device which limits your speed to the local limit. Don't make it compulsory, but give a big insurance or tax discount to those that fit one. No worries of a fine and you save money to boot!

Thats fine in theory but you also need to apply common sense to the equation. Try driving through London at 30 mph (the LEGAL limit for the most part) you wouldn't get far at that speed. Its the inappropriate use of speed thats dangerous more than the speed itself.

Its all well and good catching speeders but what about those who drive dangerously, under the influence of drink and drugs?

They kill more people than speeding does!

I dont mind speed cameras personally, but I would prefer to see tax payers money put towards more police to catch and prosecute drink drivers, which speed cameras cannot catch.

Or simply catch those idiots who drive recklessly for a laugh and think they own the road.

They say its not about the money, but what else are people to think when they are fined for going just over the speed limit but the drink driver gets away scot free..

:shutit:

very good point demonic, but the only way to catch someone who is just over the legal limit is to have random stops by the police... and how irritating would that be?

Obviously it's a lot easier to spot a drink driver who is travelling at 25mph in a national, and is swerving all over the road...

:)

...plus speeding is obejective. Speeding at say 2am on the motorway would not be considered, by most people, to be dangerous. However doing the same at say 8am - 9am would be. Same applies to city centre scenario's and makes me laugh when boy racers feel like they're being pursecuted! Driving abouve the limit when its 3-4am and no-one is about is far from doing the same when its 11pm and there are lots of people about.

....and dont get me started about drink drivers!!!

very good point demonic, but the only way to catch someone who is just over the legal limit is to have random stops by the police... and how irritating would that be?

Obviously it's a lot easier to spot a drink driver who is travelling at 25mph in a national, and is swerving all over the road...

:)

I see what you mean Yarisboy, and to some extent I agree - as there is no other way to catch a drink driver than random stops by police...

But I just think its unfair to persecute one set of people and forget about other people, who are also commiting offences.. and I dont think them creating more and more speed cameras is the answer!

If they could give muggers and rapists on the spot fines (for the Police Xmas ball) by using cameras on poles .. I'm sure they would ..

But actually having to use officers and stop crime for no immediate reward .. what sort place do you think the Labour government is trying to create??

I know in Singapore, the commercial or trading van has to fit a "flashing light" on the roof of the car. So if u travel more than 50mph on the motorway, the light will flash and the police can issue u a fine. without speed gun.

Another one is in the Singapore army, if u go more than 50mph, the needle on the speedo will stop working... when u r back to the base, u will be go to isolation "jail" for 3 days......

Thats fine in theory but you also need to apply common sense to the equation. Try driving through London at 30 mph (the LEGAL limit for the most part) you wouldn't get far at that speed. Its the inappropriate use of speed thats dangerous more than the speed itself.

The last time I was in London I struggled to get above 20 mph the traffic was that bad :lol:

It's the same in Bristol at times, the places they fit some cameras are usually so gridlocked you'd struggle to reach the speed limit, let alone break it.

As for common sense. Try explaining that one to the fools who are dropping all the national speed limit zones to 40mph. Where once the vast majority would usually observe the national speed limit, by dropping the limit, it has now encouraged almost all drivers to break the law as well as performing some very dangerous overtaking maneuvers when they come to cars driving within the law. It's like this back home around Pontefract and Wakefield, there are some excellent roads where you could drive fast and still be within the law, now to have a good drive on the roads you have to break the law!

some good roads in ponte! - that one that is 40 (once 60) in ponte near new college has been dropped becuase of a drink driver - not someone speeding!

These last couple of pposts about "good" roads having the speed limits dropped are too true. theres a few of those around here and puttin cameras or cops on them are becomming increasingly popular. Thing is these are VERY safe spots, not accident black spots or anything, no dangerous history at all.

Another obvious money making scheme.

Like bibbs said why not install camreas on street corners to catch hookers and their clients, sure they'd catch REAL criminals but would that be worth it?

Reminds me of the time when my dad got done for not having his seat belt on, granted he was unsafe but u know what taxi drivers r like!

so he got stopped for not having his seatbelt. straight across from him a fella in a merc had a "suspect" lass in the car with him, and the cops seeing all this still didnt bother. when my dad pointed this out the cop bookin him said that taht's not part of his job description! he's traffic, tahts the other dept...

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links