Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Clean Advice Needed

lmcc87

1.4 D4D and trying to clean the EGR. Reason for attempting to clean is little to no power before hitting the turbo range which from what I know and have heard is a typical symptom of a blocked EGR.

I am trying to do this without having to drain the water system of the car. For people who are unaware of this system you can still possibly help me. I have attached a photo below. The left hand side of the EGR assembly I have been able to take apart and clean out, this was not blocked but did have minor soot build up. The flap inside moves freely. The left hand side being from the triangular looking thing to the left.

To the right, I do not know what this is, does anyone know? Out the bottom end of this goes a pipe to the right hand side of the manifold so i am assuming there is probably soot build up in there or where the pipe meets the manifold as people typically see. I am having trouble getting at the bottom manifold bolt due to me not wanting to drain the water system but I can probably find a way of getting at it eventually.

Has anyone successfully cleaned an egr on the 1.4 (be that even with draining the system and disassembling, I haven't even seen this anywhere on the net, looked at hundreds of posts)?

Any advice much much appreciated

post-128195-0-43239700-1421347737_thumb.

post-128195-0-48044800-1421347789_thumb.

I done this on a corolla 1.4, and small amount of water drained but then stopped.

You could clamp the water pipes if you like with a brake pipe clamp.

I done this on a corolla 1.4, and small amount of water drained but then stopped.

You could clamp the water pipes if you like with a brake pipe clamp.

Thanks for the reply, youre the first person on this forum who has seems to have done any sort of work to the EGR on the 1.4.

Can I ask where you found most of the clogged soot? Or did you find much on the right hand side of it? Cheers

It does get pretty clogged around the valve, i can't remember which side, it's been awhile since i done my father in laws, but it was filthy. A good motorway drive from time to time does help a bit. If the car does alot of town driving, it will get gummed up a bit more often. Carb cleaner is the way to go.

It is a bit of a fiddle, and is a tight space, but very managable

It does get pretty clogged around the valve, i can't remember which side, it's been awhile since i done my father in laws, but it was filthy. A good motorway drive from time to time does help a bit. If the car does alot of town driving, it will get gummed up a bit more often. Carb cleaner is the way to go.

It is a bit of a fiddle, and is a tight space, but very managable

It gets good driving most days. 30 mile motorway trip twice a day. But I had one of the engines with faulty turbo/vacuum pump and the engine was burning a lot of oil, I reckon a lot of crap has accumulated in the egr from this. The intercooler is probably filled with oil and soot deposits too but trying out the egr first. Will go ahead and take the pipes off and hope for the best. Many thanks for your advice.

Here is a link from one of the sticky forum posts

Its in this post in the Auris forum

Technical Information Hints & Tips

Here is a link from one of the sticky forum posts

Its in this post in the Auris forum

Technical Information Hints & Tips

What's the link pal?

"Technical Information Hints & Tips"

It's at the top of the auris forum page.

Its for a 2.0 version but looks similar to yours.

The egr looks different to the corolla one, but not by much i have to say.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links