Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Downfall Of Different Size Tyres

IQ Old git

Hi Guys. Has anyone fitted their IQ3 with 195 55 16 tyres. ??? The reason I ask is that there is a vast choice of makes (and prices) inc the excellent Dunlop blue response which I fancy, but dont want to compromise on comfort and steering feel. My 'tyre man' says that I may upset the nimbleness (is that a word) of my car. Any feedback will be greatfully received. Thanks Colin (new owner)

I think most people tend to stick to the standard size tyres Colin and those that do change, like me, also change the wheels.

I did consider the size tyres you are suggesting as they are very similar diameter to the standard 175 tyres but in the end I got some winter tyres in the 175/60 16 size and then got summer tyres on new wheels in 205/45 17 size.

If your car is in need of new tyres and you don't want to change the wheels I would go for it see what they are like. The only issue I can see is the slightly wider tyre will increase rolling resistance so fuel economy may drop slightly. My iQ3 on the standard size winter tyres does around 50mpg but in the summer on the 205 wide tyres she does about 45mpg.

Not quite sure what the insurance implications of non standard size tyres would be either?

Craig.

Thanks for your input Craig. I will keep my original wheels as (a) they are unmarked and (b) as much as I would like a 'fancy' set my budget wont run to new wheels. My thoughts at the mo are to try a set of 195 Dunlop sport blue response as they are A rated for economy as opposed to Bridgestones C so might ofset the extra drag. Just didnt want to upset the steering/comfort. But my Pal who works for Hiq (and does my servicing) says that the dunlop is their best selling tyre and gets rave reviews from everyone who has them ?? He has however advised me to stay with the 'correct size'. Hopefully mine will last a few more months. At least the car is getting used to me (had it 2 weeks and 800 miles) Just need to get the carpark dent sorted it managed to get on my second day. Grrr. Why do people park next to me in an otherwise almost empty carpark. Must be the same ones who sit at the next table in and empty pub or on the bus. Yes I have been on one (once) Cheers Colin

Fitted these last year to ours have seen no difference at all in handling etc

Thanks Geoffery. That does it, its 195,s for me, wont be long either as I keep going out for a ride like I used to before fuel became an issue. Its been many years since I had something that would do 100mls for under £10. Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links