Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg Indicator

IQ Old git

Has anybody fathomed/worked out how to turn off the self cancelling feature on the mpg indicator. I find it the most annoying feature on my 'new iq3'. I want to reset it when it suits me not each time I fill up.It is just so annoying that it fluctuates wildly for the first 50 or so miles after a refill. Yes I know I could go onto fuelly? and might at some time, but with the lack of storeage keeping a pen and paper to record details until I get home is a faf. Cheers Colin. Ps managed a high of 56.7 yesterday but has dropped to 53.2 this morning after a shortish trip to the shops.

We've never found a way on ours. I guess you could try holding the button down when you're selecting that option, but if I recall I tried that and I gave up.

In fact you do not need any paper to use Fuelly, you just need a pen. I take the petrol receipt, check it has the litres put in on it (it usually does but if not you write that) and write the odometer reading. Then that receipt is enough to update Fuelly whenever you get time.

Never the less I always do keep one blank piece of paper in the car ready to write down the details of any driver foolish enough to hit me - it happens every 7 years or so for me!

• Like 2

Thanks Guys. Thought that might be the case. Fuelly it is then. Also like most other things in the handbook. Have tried upping the brightness of the gauge (it says to go to the setting ---- and adjust) but the only setting that has that is the eco setting which has no effect ??? Its just that you cant read it after putting the sidelights on until it is almost dark. My old yaris tsport had a button to brighten the display. Progress NOT. And yes I am missing the yar which was easier and less tiring to drive as it would literally go any and everywhere in top gear. Only swapped because I was getting bored with it. But am enjoying the cheaper running costs. Cheers Colin

Don't know about you but I find I can leave it in sixth gear at 30 mph and it is quite happy, obviously you have to drop down to accelerate from that speed/gear. The brightness is only adjustable for the small multi-function display to the left, it does not alter the brightness of the actual dashboard illumination. Not sure what you mean by 'eco setting'?

Thanks Guys. Thought that might be the case. Fuelly it is then. Also like most other things in the handbook. Have tried upping the brightness of the gauge (it says to go to the setting ---- and adjust) but the only setting that has that is the eco setting which has no effect ??? Its just that you cant read it after putting the sidelights on until it is almost dark. My old yaris tsport had a button to brighten the display. Progress NOT. And yes I am missing the yar which was easier and less tiring to drive as it would literally go any and everywhere in top gear. Only swapped because I was getting bored with it. But am enjoying the cheaper running costs. Cheers Colin

When trying to adjust the brightness you have to have the headlights on before the adjustment option appears when you cycle through the options.

Don't know about you but I find I can leave it in sixth gear at 30 mph and it is quite happy, obviously you have to drop down to accelerate from that speed/gear. The brightness is only adjustable for the small multi-function display to the left, it does not alter the brightness of the actual dashboard illumination. Not sure what you mean by 'eco setting'?

Ah, just realised yours will be an automatic then?

Hi Guys thanks again for useful info. Hi Mark, no its a manual. But it dosnt like 6th below about 40. It begins to shunt. Think I made the mistake of not trying a iq2 before buying the first one I looked at. A 2 might have suited my lazy diving style better ?? I have a nephew with a 107 so was convinced I needed a 1.3 as I found the 3cyl annoying. (I drove a pals new Fiat 500 twinair y'day and was amazed buy the pull it has even in top. So much better than his old 1.2 just like my old yaris tsport) Also thanks to Lee didnt think to try with lights on. Will give it a go. The Car is gradually getting used to me. I love it really.

Colin, it was the 'Eco setting ' that threw me, the auto's have an economy gauge to help get better mpg, the manual doesn't. Like i said I can maintain 30 mph in 6th gear, with me and a passenger without it laboring/shunting. I wonder if, is your due a service and in need of new filter and/or plugs?

I don't really follow the shift light tbh, just stick to 3rd for 30, 4th for 40 etc as I hate it (so probably does the engine) when I'm driving at just 1000rpm. I much rather keep it at 2000rpm-ish like most petrol cars. I find my mpg to be quite acceptable too most times.

Thanks again Guys. Have sorted brightness of gauge (thanks Lee) but not been out in 'dull' conditions to try it. Wont be long though as no sun today. The eco setting I refered to appears too tell you how many seconds the stop start was in operation. (for) Would much rather have a 'how many miles left' message. Still finding it annoying that the mpg indicator is so sensitive and plumets the first slope you come to. If it allowed you to not reset it would be much more stable. Also thanks Mark. It had supposedly been serviced the day before I got it, but I noticed that it had been filled with 5-30 fully synthetic, so had 0-30 'stop/start' eco fulll synth plus a new filter (the old one had obviously not been changed) Also noticed that the breather from the block to the air intake was split, so taped it up while waiting for a replacement from Mr T. £16.17 + £1 for clip. (it comes with one only ???) Fuel consumption immediately improved by 2mpg. Result. Havnt looked at plugs yet. Its running very smoothly so hope to go a bit further. Looks a pain to do. Now on 49k. bet they are original. Cheers Colin

Plugs will be original, They aren't meant to be changed until some ridiculous mileage on the service schedule but I changed the ones in my iQ3 last year and it really isn't a bad job.

If you need a plan how to do it I'll try my best to remember the process but I read the official manual and it says to remove the screen trim, remove the wiper motor, drain the coolant etc. You actually need to do none of that!

My plugs came out last year so around 38k miles. Looked fine but I fitted new ones as I had them ready to go but didn't notice any difference to be honest.

My car also runs on 5-30 oil. Used Castrol GTX Magnatec last time. No problems with it at all and it is a recommended grade by Toyota so happy to use it. I've grown up on older engines that need thick oil so a 5-30 oil still seems a bit wrong.

Craig.

Well the specified oil by Toyota is actually 0w20 for the 1.0 which would be very wrong to you :)

Thanks again guys. Interesting about the plug change. No wonder Mr T charges so much for everything. I asked about oil on my last visit (still waiting for my breather pipe 4 days now) and they said they would use 0-20 'hybrid' oil in mine £14.95 per Lt but could only supply bulk so bring your own can. Opie Oils reccommended Motul 8100 0-20 eco 'stop/start' synthetic. My Pal at HiQ managed to get correct grade and rating from his wholesaler, They asked if it was auto as apparently its different again. Whaterever happened to good old Duckhams fits all. Is that what you use in the chevy Craig ? Cheers Colin

You can use 5w30 but they recommend the 0w20 as it gives better protection with the stop/start function on the manual. That's why the auto is still recommended to use 5w30.

We have the auto and it's filled with 0w20 and it does give a few extra mpg's at the top end without trying. It also gives a little better protection for the short town runs we do.

Correct servicing and tyre pressures make the best difference to mpg's.

Just an aside. I got my 'new breather' pipe yesterday. Total waste of £17 as the split was in the outer covering. The actual pipe is solid plastic and was undamaged. It appears to be coated with a foam (sound deadning perhaps) which was split so no leaks and didnt even need the tape I put around it. Another lesson learned. Cheers. Thats why Im an old git. Mr T saw me coming (again)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links