Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Other Cars Make Me Appreciate My Old Toyota

Konrad C

I just had to do a temporary repair on my brothers Renault Grand Scenic front electric window. To get the door trim off was a lot of hassle. This is an '08 car and the electric window failed. The Temic switch went faulty whilst the car was parked and locked, lowering the glass all the way down, then died.

Changing the headlight bulbs is another major job too! The car has an intermittent brake light issue and the high level LED does not work. The LED itself is okay, just the wiring. Oh I forgot the spring broke and pierced the tyre at low speed before the beginning of a long journey.

Simple things like changing filters become major jobs.

This is one of the more unreliable brands, but I could say that Peugeot were journalists favourites for being drivers cars, whilst Toyota was 'boring'! Now a few years along reliability issues, build qualities, and car only fit for scrap whilst the boring cars are still running.

Unfortunately exciting to drive cars make less sense now because of speed cameras, traffic calming, congestion.

All of a sudden my boring old Avensis is a fine car, relevant to todays driving conditions.

I have spoken to mechanics and people in the motoring trade who know a good car.

I know my car is not perfect, but it is better than some of the cars I have dealt with - helped my brother look for a car for his wife and traders were selling shockers for a lot of money!

Just hope the replacement is just as good.

I owned a Laguna 2 for a couple of years, between about 3 til 5 years old and 25 to 50k miles. I reckon I spent more keeping that car on the road than it cost to buy it. The list included...

Intercooler blown

Both front window regulators cables snapped

Front spring broke while sitting in the driveway

Rear axle mount bushes torn from their inner Shell

Full set of 4 brake discs and pads (the rears incorporate the hub bearing so they're expensive)

Rear brake calipers didn't return after each expansion click, so had to be stripped down about once a month.

Engine management light and limp mode regularly (eventually cured by a new sensor)

New front tyres every 10k miles

Tyre pressure monitoring system fell off the underneath of the car (who's idea was it to fit it there?)

I'm sure there was more but you get the gist.... No wonder I went looking for something better quality.

Edit... for some balance...the car was also nice to drive, really quiet and comfy, fairly powerful yet economical, good stereo and good toys in general. Nowhere near enough to make me buy another Renault tho.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links