Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charge Temps On Boosted Mr2s

RichB

Does anyone worry about this?

Usually on Forced induction engines from the manufacturer the intercooler is poorly positioned and dreadfully small. Thus increasing the boost causes excessive charge temps and the melting of all things internal.

Thus loads of cars have aftermarket intercooler/chargecooler products. As does the MR2.

For all the 2s on this site with high boost and 270+ bhp, not a single one has charge temp mods. Is the stock intercooler just really good at its job, or when does it need to be replaced with a bigger / more efficient item?

The MR2 can take alot of abuse without any other mods. Simply get a FCD and up the boost.. or go the way a few have and get a unichip fitted.

Push it too high tho and you will begin to melt things.. lol

My car is pushing out 275bhp at the mo, could go slightly higher with an uprated actuator as my current one has gone soft. Could go even slightly more higher with Water Injection. Anything else and a different turbo etc/internals would be required.

Better performance can be reached from a rev3+ motor with stock bits and bobs.

An after market intercooler or charge cooler would be ideal .. as the stock one is pony ..

I've got WI to lower the charge temp ..

The issue again is cost ..

Ive come across loads of articles that have shown that the best intercooler for the tubby..the Greddy unit..only increases cooling efficiency around 10%. Your better off with WI imo..unless your loaded.

I still have the stock cooling system...altho the car is sitting within a pube hair of its cooling limits. :eek: WI is next for me.

Aright the jimlad!Late nights out and assessments :crybaby: If I wander onto toc Ill get put off doing any work :bye::ph34r:

haha that's quite true PizzaBoy, u can get caught up in mindless conversations with jim on here, specially l8 nites...

err NOT like that u dirtty little buggers!

-Z

I was looking into this and there are a few aftermarket intercoolers out there. The GReddy one is £600 + shipping from MTTE, although they are on eBay for about $700 - so probably cheaper to get it from there. Heard they are a bugger to fit though.

Wonder if there is room to get larger one fabricated specially to fit the stock mounts at a reasonable price? Lots of places can make them to order and are usually only a few hundred pounds. Possibly less for a group buy?

What about for <Rev 3 owners using an old rev 3 intercooler - are they bigger, and I assume relatively easy to remount to a rev 2?

OK, so I just read the instuctions on how to mount a GReddy intercooler...f**k that!! Five pages worth including photos. I should think the only time this is worth doing is if you have the engine out for a cambelt change maybe.

How about just getting the low temp thermostat and getting the fans on earlier instead - how easy is this to do?

I'm using a TRD Sports thermostat which starts cooling the car 10 degrees C sooner. This does not directly reduce the charge temperature.

The car warms up nicely but stays at about the quarter level mark on the water temperature gauge. Still way off limited boost. The overall engine is cooler, and as a by-product, the intercooler and charge temperature is less affected by 'heat soak'.

It cost me about £70 and it can be fitted without draining the coolant... as long as you make sure you get all the trapped air out of the system.

I'm running stock intercooler. Chargecooler is the way to go. A friend is working on a cut down lorry intercooler, encased in aluminium with water running through it. He has set up and calibrated some measurement gear to measure the temperature at induction, the temperature before intecooler and temperature after intercooler. This will show the intercooler efficiency. He is wiring his laptop up to my car and I will publish the results when I have done it (with the stock intercooler).

Insulation is also the way to go. It's not the prettiest thing under the engine lid, but it works. The inlet runs directly across the hot cylinder head and near the manifold, turbo and cat... these get very hot. If you insulate this route with industrial boiler material, you will see a reduction in charge temperature. Don't use cheap stuff... and don't underestimate how hot the material is likely to get. Don't want any fires now do we!

:D

Insulation is also the way to go. It's not the prettiest thing under the engine lid, but it works. The inlet runs directly across the hot cylinder head and near the manifold, turbo and cat... these get very hot. If you insulate this route with industrial boiler material, you will see a reduction in charge temperature. Don't use cheap stuff... and don't underestimate how hot the material is likely to get. Don't want any fires now do we!

:D

My inlet gets super hot as my heat sheild is removed(bah must get it back on) but where would you get this boiler materiel stuff? Any pics of it on your car?

My inlet gets super hot as my heat sheild is removed(bah must get it back on) but where would you get this boiler materiel stuff? Any pics of it on your car?

http://www.rpmmotorsport.co.uk/rsturbo.htm

HEAT CONTROL BACK TO TOP PRICE

Fireshield 1.6mm aluminium Heat Cloth 0.5 x 0.5 metre £9.50

Fireshield 1.6mm aluminium Heat Cloth 0.5 x 1 metre £17.50

Fireshield 1.6mm aluminium Heat Cloth 1 x 1 metre £31.50

Fireshield 1.6mm aluminium Heat Cloth 1 x 2 metre £59.99

Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap 2" x 50' £51.82

Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap 2" x 100' £97.50

Thermo-Tec snap straps 20" x 20' £18.69

Thermo-Tec snap straps 25" x 25' £23.37

Thermo-Tec Hi heat coating black or silver £9.50

Thermo-Tec thermoshield self adhesive tape £17.59

Thermo-Tec thermo sleeve 1/4" to 1/2" ID x 3' £13.12

Thermo-Tec thermo sleeve 5/8" to 1" ID x 3' £17.46

Thermo-Tec thermo sleeve 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" ID x 3' £21.93

Thermo-Tec thermo sleeve 1-5/8" to 2" ID x 3' £26.27

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I like how the New Zealander knows the links for the UK :)

I like how the New Zealander knows the links for the UK :)

Hehehe.......just had a quick search, hopefully give's a ROUGH idea on prices :) no doubt someone will have nailed it down to a good cheap supplier :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Just wish others would "do a quick search" instead of relying on other memebers to use Google .. :)

Just wish others would "do a quick search" instead of relying on other memebers to use Google .. 

Bah then eeeeveryone would be busy searchin and forums would be dead as there wouldnt be a need for em anymore EEEENNIT! :yes:

:bye:

yeah .. lets instead ask someone 14,000 miles away to look for a company round the corner :P

Now shoosh .. or Jim and I will "mod" ya .. :lol:

LOL! "mod ya"!?

Please dont Im just trying to keep the community alive and making people post thats all hehe :yes:

...Ill stop now.. :-l

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links