Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Telephone Interview

vmail

1 question I get asked is how much would you like to get paid

should I say 20k or should I say anything?

well, as with most things, its not what you say, its how you say it...

In my interview for this job (many years ago), the question came up...

So I said for the postition they are offering, and the work I would need to do, combined with my qualifications and experience, i would expect to be in the ...... range..

Which was a 50% jump from my previous salary (which they knew), but, because i had a reasoned proposal to why I was worth that much for that job, they accepted it..

So in a nutshell, dont just throw a figure out, explain your plus points, site examples of other employment, and deduce the figure you want...

well sai ian, always sound confident (not arrogant) and justify you reasoning, you don't always get what you ask but show your confident in yourself and belive you are worth the higher end of their range...

yeah, Ryan is right, that hardest trick is to be confident, without coming across as arrogant...

I said when asked this question a week or to back.

"thats an embarrsaing question, how much would you be willing to offer me"

Its honest and frank.

I agree. They wouldnt turn you down just cos u asked for more than they want to give, as with most things in interviews they are looking more for the way you react to to certain questions and how u deal with it apposed to the actual answer given. Just say what you want, as long as a reasonable figure, and justify it :D

Good luck :D

Its honest and frank.

so thats better than saying "normal grad rate of 20k"

Its honest and frank.

so thats better than saying "normal grad rate of 20k"

only if you want to come across as submissive...

IMHO, if your a degree grad, then you can say, the standard rate for uni graduates with a 2:1 average is around the 20k mark.... I believe I am worth this much because..... yada yada

It got me the job, and was offered it at the end of the interview, but I really think you need to read the situation, and the person your dealing with, some interviews can be broken down into informal chats, some are kept strictly stern and formal.

It depends on what sort of a rapport you build with the interviewer/s, and how the discussion progresses.

(I have the sort of style though which goes against the interview grain I think)

sorry Dave, wasnt dissing you, its a good approach.. and like you say, it depends on the rapport..

It comes down to the individual, after all, its you there interviewing, so just answer naturally...

It might be an idea to look at the Job ads in the papers to see what people are offering your specific sector.

A lot of it is also being in the right place at the right time. I missed an opportunity to nearly tripple my salary last year, and when I was ready to change jobs, the best I could do was a couple of grand more than I was on BUT had to tripple my working hours to get it :wacko: (Didn't know it at the time tho)

So now I am looking at getting out my industry and all I know and to start fresh again. This could mean taking a pay cut :blink:

If your looking at an IT job dont expect to get 20k just because you are grad mate :angry: that might have been that case a couple of years ago with IT job but it's not any more :P :P Just depends on what sector you are looking at getting into.

Also I dont think they will mention money in a phone interview it will just be a test of you knowledge to make sure you are not full of :censor:

I have done a couple the guy on the end of the phone asked me to talk him through over the phone how to set a couple of IP routes on a cisco,setting the gateway of last resort stuff like that.

Employers want a lot more now for less money :blink:

Unless you know what your talking about then you can ask for what ever you think your worth :lol::lol::lol: and hope for the best :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links