Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Suspension Arm Corrosion

Avensis Avenger

I have a 2005 Avensis estate (2.0 VVTI). Without wishing to be too specific (!), the hexagonal rod adjuster (6 inch rod) on one of the lower control arms (about 1 and 1/2 feet long) of the suspension on the REAR wheel (LH) has been reported at Service as "extremely corroded". I have been quoted £350 for a replacement (dealer), the reason being that the arm comes as a "kit". I stuck my head under and this hexagonal rod bit of the arm does indeed look quite badly corroded - to the extent where I am wondering about the structural integrity of this element.

Pictures attached.

Has anyone ever had one of these replaced? How much did it cost? Any details would be much appreciated.

post-73185-0-53643000-1431210396_thumb.j

post-73185-0-40647900-1431210408_thumb.j

Personally I'd try cleaning it up with a wire brush first and see how bad it is. If it's mostly surface rust then smearing a little grease on it after the clean-up should slow down it's re-appearance.

• Like 1

A A My Corolla 1992. 98K, rod thread 16mm hex adjuster 23mm AF

Adjuster wall thickness 23 - 16 = 7 / 2 = 3.5 mm wall thickness

Ask your usual MOT tester ?

Just had a look at mine and they are virtually the same as yours corrosion wise,i would wire brush the area and get hold of some smooth black Hammerite paint and and blast that on it..hth it will only be surface corrosion..imho

• Like 1

Many thanks for your advice,

I am going to visit a trusted local garage tomorrow to ask a mechanic whether he thinks it safe to run with the wire brush/hammerite or grease option, or whether it is structurally unsound and needs replacement.

I can't see why this piece would cost £350 to replace? I checked the Toyota EPC site and the part I would need if I go for a replacement is: 48730 (48730-05060) - ARM ASSY, LOWER CONTROL, LH AZT250R. $83USD....

Shown also here: http://toyotapartscatalog.com/toyota/avensis-azt250r-aepehw-2-0l-16-valve-dohc-efi-atm-2003-eu-2-rear-spring-shock-absorber/#p-toyota-4873005060

Granted it might need a few bits and bobs in addition, but £350? Doesn't look like a uber-complex job to replace this.

Yes that's the part i looked at for mine.

It would need to have the rear set up checked after the refit,with a Hunter alignment machine ,although that wouldn't, shouldn't cost more than 70 notes.

It doesn't look like a part that regularly gets replaced after i trawled the net for the part.even eBay doesn't list them .

When you deduct the price of the part from the total it makes fitting £130, about 1.5 hours. They can be a pig to fit, you very often have to get them red hot as the bolt gets seized in the axle end, it then needs 4 wheel alignment. If you are doing it yourself, order the nuts and bolts too as they will also need replacing

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links