Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Downpipe Keeps Coming Loose :(

Rikki

Hi guys,

As I’ve mentioned in other posts I’m running my car with a custom designed snakehead downpipe but am running into some problems. When I was at the rolling road having the car tuned the downpipe nuts and bolts started to slacken off and you could hear the exhaust gases leaking from the turbo to downpipe join. We tightened them up and tried again and the same thing happened.

I don’t know if its because the rollers don’t have the same kind of cooling force as the real road (and with the MR2s engine at the back even with the big fans around the car it might not be cooling the downpipe enough) or something else but I thought I’d throw the question open to you guys as you all really know your stuff when it comes to this kind of thing.

Here are some photos of the custom pipe I have installed and any advice on it you could give would be great.

mr2down-1.jpg

mr2down-2.jpg

mr2down-3.jpg

mr2down-4.jpg

Thanks,

Rikki

PS: One thought I had was that the supporting bracket that we installed (in the same place as he original support for the cast downpipe and cat) might be acting like a pivot when the car is accelerating and is prising the downpipe away from the turbo, is this a possibility?

I had a similar problem on my old ST185 using the Aussie downpipe, I would regularly lose bolts despite them being torqued correctly.

The solution for me was to use spring washers to keep the bolt held tight against the thread.

Where did you get the pipe? How much was it?

wack some of that zorst paste around the thread b4 u put it back together, that should help hold it rite?

fire gum is what its called i think.

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links