Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Common Problems On The New Avensis 62 Reg 2012 Onwards?

cmia

Hello..

Does anyone know of all the common issues on an avensis 2012 onwards.

2.0 T2 ?

I am looking at replacing my old D4D Taxi. Now has "tons of miles"..

I am aware of the rear brake actuator, 1AD-FTV headgasket.

does the 1AD-FTV have oil issues?

Thanks

If it helps, I've just bought a 2012 1.8 petrol Avensis. The reason I did is that after looking carefully at the reliability records of other cars in the same class, the Avensis is clearly the most reliable, with petrol Avensis being the most reliable of all.

The main flaw with Avensis is the electronic parking brake, which are more prone to failure on the per 2011 versions. Likely to cost about £1k to fix..........

.....but then you have to weight this against the kind of flaws the opposition has.

Insignia - spate of gearboxes and dmf clutches failing before 30,000 miles

Mondeo - poor build and various reliability issues.

VW/Audi/Skoda - again, not as reliable as theToyota

Mazda 6 - rust issues and prone to diesel engine failure

In could go on, but the point I'm making is that all modern cars are so filled with tech these days that there's so much that can go wrong. If something was likely to go wrong, then at least replacing the parking brake is going to be a damn site easier and cheaper than a new gearbox, clutch, engine or a lifetime of niggles that you get with the others.

By nature, all diesels have dmfs, fuel pumps etc. that will all cause a headache later on. V-matic petrol Avensis doesn't have a turbo or dmf - it uses clever engine during to get near diesel-like economy without all the nonsense bolted on that gives problems later on.

Try looking at the reviewsand the good / bad comments on the 'honest John' website.

Go

• Like 1

If it helps, I've just bought a 2012 1.8 petrol Avensis. The reason I did is that after looking carefully at the reliability records of other cars in the same class, the Avensis is clearly the most reliable, with petrol Avensis being the most reliable of all.

The main flaw with Avensis is the electronic parking brake, which are more prone to failure on the per 2011 versions. Likely to cost about £1k to fix..........

.....but then you have to weight this against the kind of flaws the opposition has.

Insignia - spate of gearboxes and dmf clutches failing before 30,000 miles

Mondeo - poor build and various reliability issues.

VW/Audi/Skoda - again, not as reliable as theToyota

Mazda 6 - rust issues and prone to diesel engine failure

In could go on, but the point I'm making is that all modern cars are so filled with tech these days that there's so much that can go wrong. If something was likely to go wrong, then at least replacing the parking brake is going to be a damn site easier and cheaper than a new gearbox, clutch, engine or a lifetime of niggles that you get with the others.

By nature, all diesels have dmfs, fuel pumps etc. that will all cause a headache later on. V-matic petrol Avensis doesn't have a turbo or dmf - it uses clever engine during to get near diesel-like economy without all the nonsense bolted on that gives problems later on.

Try looking at the reviewsand the good / bad comments on the 'honest John' website.

Go

I looked at the petrol v matic looks good on paper, but when you have 4 fat customers with a driver i dont think it will have the pull as a modern diesel.

Its a shame they dont do a 2.4L Petrol, or a V6 in the avensis, I would buy that and LPG in a blink of an eye

• Like 1

The problems I have seen on here and read.

re the t27

the door check straps crack the front doors. drivers side being the worst

hand brake failure as mentioned

one thing I do not like is they do not do a hatchback- there are far more hatchbacks in the t25 than saloons

this may be helpful

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-2009/?section=good

have you thought about the auris estate?

Maybe you should try the 2.0 diesel? Auris estate would be another option. I'm more attracted to the Avensis because it's one of the few cars in its class that's a traditional 3-box saloon - much more classy in my opinion for a large car than hatchbacks.

It's funny though how the taxi marker seems to have changed. Around here, Toyota was (and mostly still is) king for private-hire taxis. I'd say about 70% of the minicabs around here are Series 1 Avensis, and I see lots that are 'S', 'T' and 'V' registrations working the roads every day and looking great - a real good advert for Toyota reliability.

Asked about the Avensis (Series 1) and most cabbers here say 'it's not as good as a Carina E', and they're probably right, but that's the point. As cars become more advanced and heavy, then they have all the additional gubbins to compensate, which means more to go wrong.

Out of the newer taxis I see being used, the T27 Avensis seems fairly popular, though not as much as the older ones are. Skoda Octavias now seem to make up quite a lot.....but they don't look as good as an Avensis.

Whilst the petrol obviously won't have all that torque, it can still move with 4 fat people in, still do 40mpg around town, and you won't have to worry about the more frequent servicing, your diesel pump going, having to drain the water out of the diesel filter and the DMF.

I don't know that the facelift really has common issues (other than perhaps those generic to modern common rail turbo-diesels i.e. dpf, dmf, injectors etc. etc. according to mileage & driving style). That doesn't mean that they are all faultless but that any faults are only a tiny % - the man that would know best would be Devon Aygo if he is prepared to give an answer.

It still has a gearbox with a poor shift quality into second until it has warmed up.

The doorstrap issue should have been fixed before that.

The headgasket issue doesn't seem to rear it's head & tbh the no. of epb issues reported is very small (& again they had made modifications by then).

I don't know how the extra cost of fuel would stack up for you but the 1.8 CVT seems to be a very reliable car & maintenance costs over high mileage could be cheaper than for the diesels.

I've said before on here that over the last year or so I have been seeing noticeably a lot more T27s being used as private hire cars around Glasgow.

Was sitting behind a 61 plate SEAT this afternoon which was smoking very badly ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links