Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Loosen These #@! Timing Belt Pulleys

MW in VT

I am in the process of pulling the heads off my 93 camry V6 for a head gasket replacement. Everything is off but the heads now, but I cannot get the bolts for the timing belt pulleys loose.

I need to remove the pulleys before I can pull the camshafts to access the head bolts.

I am using a 10" long wrench to hold the cam shaft, and an 18" breaker bar on the pulley bolt and I dont even get a hint of things budging.

Am I missing some trick here?

Try soaking the bolts in Plus Gas. Give them a good spray, then leave for half an hour. Then spray them again and call it a night.

By tomorrow, the plus gas should have done it's thing.

Bear in mind though that these bolts will be really tight anyway........the last thing you want is for them to work loose while hooning around on a motorway.

Rich

Thanks for the responce.

I couldnt find any plus gas but I used PB Blast super penetrating spray repeatedly over a few days and with the help of my 18" breaker bar and 15" adjustable wrench to hold the cam, the bolts broke loose. Once loose, I could turn them with my fingers.

The torque spec for the bolts is only 80-90 ft-lbs but took all of my strength to loosen them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links