Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fcd, Bleed Valve, Actuator Vs Unichip

RichB

So which setup is preferable. (Rev 2 Turbo)

Unichip: is easier - one item, controls everything. But £550 to fit and tune. 15Psi. Maybe some fuel economy gains and probably the safer option overall (in terms of engine longevity. Probably have to buy and fit an uprated actuator eventually as running higher boost will cause the spring in the stock one to go soft. Total £650 + fit acutator

FCD and Bleed Valve: Two items, pain in the ***** to have fitted. Are used to 'fool' the engine to boosting higher. Probably no fuel economy gains, and more risk to the engine. However £125 + fitting for the pair. Probably worth getting the actuator sorted as well in this process. So total £225 + fitting. 15Psi again.

Basically I think it's the old cost over quality argument - I think the Unichip is the better solution, but costs a load.

wait for bibbs to reply to this m8, he's clued up on all this malarky. plus he'll be able to help out with the fitting etc, as i believe he's done most of his bits & bobs himself!

-Z

The g-valve is a doddle if you know what you are doing and have the right tools .. and the FCD is even easier.

I think I got the valve for £30, the FCD for £30 and about 2 hours fitting.

The Unichip is just the same as the FCD in that it's fooling the stock ECU (being a piggy back).

I went with the FCD and manual valve .. I then replaced the valve with an AVC-R when I had the cash. So Now I don't need to rolling road the car to get more boost (like the unichip) I just adjust the AVC-R ..

If you have cash to thrrow away go for the unichip .. if you have a LOT of cash, go MoTec ..

AVC-R

Where did you get that from? Fensport sell an Alloy Bleed Valve that appears to lock to a particular boost setting - but I dont; think this is what you are talking about?

I got it from Apex Performance .. on an AVC-R group buy a few weeks back ..

I've also got a G-Valve if you are interested ;)

If you have the cash mate, go Unichip.

You're right about the actuator going soft. I would get it replaced before the Unichip gets fitted. If I wasn't going uprated turbo etc, I would be getting an uprated actuator fitted. But because I have the chip fitted already, I would need a remap.

Good thing about Unichip is that it gets the best out of your car. Best possible torque/bhp figures through the mapping session.

Also with the Unichip, if you want to go larger turbo etc, etc... it will be able to handle it easily. Just needs a remap.

Another good thing... with the unichip, you can actually get added extras installed such as..... launch control. Along with a few others.

Problem with unichip is it's only +/-50% Piggyback.

Unlike a MoTec which is a proper ECU ..

The motec is the daddy BUT the problem with the motec is the further grands youll have to throw at it to get it mapped and set up correctly...it takes loads of RR time which = big money due to the fact it is completely replacing the old ECU so therefore the rr engineer has to redo hunnerds o settings all over again and has to be very very careful or its meltdown time (and there are cases of this happening). Motec is only worth it if your practically running a stripped out race car imo as your car will spend most of its time off the road. Only one for the rich imo. :)

Put simply heres how I see the Unichip V G-valve(+supporting mods):

G-valve = Cheap but makes the car work unecessarily hard to achive "reasonable" gains and isnt a good basis for future mods. For me it would be more of a temporary mod.

Unichip = Hell yea it pricey but youll be running a clean, efficient car with impressive gains. Plus youll be getting the best out of every additional uprated part youll put on your 2 like zorst, induction, turbo, WI, NOS etc etc as you can remap it to take full advantage of em. They are mapped so they run at the most efficient and safe level to your cars condition.. also you can adjust the power output characteristics to an extent so you can achieve a flatter peak torque curve and improve respone etc etc.

....put it this way...you ask any1 running a G-Valve on a rev3+ motor at 17psi(and same mods as me)...they will be sitting at 290bhpmax.

Ya see I was in the exact same position as you a few months ago. But I realised if you intend to keep your car for a while...buy the unichip. Think of it as an investment not a pricey one off mod. Thats why I decided to spend my student loan on it muhaha! :thumbsup:

It's a matter of cost .. I couldn't justfy throwing £500 at the car when I had other things to do, that a £100 on valve/fcd/guage would do 95% of the same job.

And MoTec is a whole new ECU - it's proper Race spec .. it's the same step up from stock->G-Valve->Unichip->MoTec

I'll be sticking with the Unichip anyway as it can do and will be able to do everything I need it to do.

I think you are right, the Unichip is so much more than just a piggyback - it can control so many things and gets mapped to your car, not a generic.

In this way, I will be saving up for one - it's longevity and reliability I want from my motor.

and of course, being a piggy back u can always remove it when u sell the car and fit it to your new one.

like that supra jim :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links