Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mercedes Jumping The Gun ?

TheNissanMan

Just read the following article on the BBC Online SPorts section, think it's jumping the gun as there has only been one race and nobody has had time to settle into the new regs. Also taking into consideration there are some new cars to hit the circuit yet I think it's very optiistic....

Coulthard tipped for title

Coulthard drove a controlled race to benefit from others' mistakes David Coulthard could become the Formula One world champion this year, according to his former team-mate Damon Hill. Coulthard's victory in the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday could be the springboard for the Scot to emulate Hill's 1996 success, the Englishman said.

"He could absolutely be the world champion this year," Hill told BBC Radio Five Live.

"If he can qualify 11th and then come into the pits and come out dead last and still win a race [then he is in good shape]. It is going to be a very exciting season.

Hill backs F1 changes

"David has matured a lot. He showed last year that he is a lot more solid than when he was younger.

"And McLaren looked competitive - they didn't look nearly as uncompetitive as we thought they would. I don't think Ferrari have the dominance right now."

Coulthard wins Melbourne thriller

Coulthard said after the race in Melbourne that Ferrari still have a performance advantage - and he is keeping his feet on the ground about any title challenge. I have always maintained that Michael will make mistakes under pressure

David Coulthard, "All I have ever said is that if I can win Grands Prix, and if I can then keep it together for the season, I can win the championship. It's only logical," Coulthard said.

"There are lesser drivers than me that have won the championship and that's a fact."

He acknowledged that Schumacher and Ferrari showed a rare vulnerability in Australia.

"If it was a combination of strategy mistakes and Michael making a mistake, then that is encouraging for Formula One," said the Scot. "They have looked pretty bullet-proof in the past with regard to strategy and Michael, not being pushed, hasn't made any mistakes.

Hill and Coulthard were team-mates at Williams in 1994 and '95 "I have always maintained that Michael under pressure will make mistakes and maybe here he showed that."

But he added: "Races like this are unusual races. It's not the classic straight fight from start to finish and none of us believe Ferrari wouldn't have been the most likely to win that sort of battle."

Schumacher ran off the road and damaged his car while racing for the lead with Coulthard's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.

Coulthard said: "It puts the pressure on. He (Schumacher) has got a sizeable car advantage and he shouldn't really be getting caught up in the struggle."

Ferrari still in front, McLaren say

Coulthard added: "I think Ferrari will be rattled. They have such a solid performance of podium results - that is the first podium they haven't been on for four years."

_38936273_dcwaveafp203.jpg

Information taken from the BBC Online Sports Website 10/3/3 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/2835849.stm)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links