Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo automatic starting oddity

CharlesJF

My wife's brand new auto Aygo has twice failed to start with the normal procedure (key turned and foot on the brake). It may be that there is an intermittent problem causing the key to not turn all the way, but at present it's difficult to reproduce. It's possible that the key/lock combination is new and a bit stiff, but it does feel fairly normal when it is working.

Anyone else have anything similar - or any thoughts?

Thanks

Charles F

Is the foot brake fully depressed?

Yes, especially the second time it happened!

I had trouble with the keys one new car I had and gave them a rub along the edges of the 'teeth' with a fine emery board, Made them turn easier in the ign barrell  

It may seem, an odd question - but can you elaborate on "fails to start"?

Does the  engine just turn and  turn but not fire ? How long do you wait ?  or does nothing happen when you turn the key?

My only though is that occasionally my engine turns several times before firing - just as I think it isn't going to start it does ..... seems random with no obvious pattern. 99% of the time it fires up immediately  on the turn of a key ( or press of a button in my case)

Nothing happens when you turn the key - much the same effect as when you deliberately don't push the brake pedal. I haven't been able to reproduce the effect myself, so the symptoms are being related at second hand - which doesn't help. Currently I'm inclined to home in on the key/barrel combination - which may improve with a little more use and minor wear.

It doesn't look as though this has rung a particular bell with anyone else - ie it's not a generally known problem, so I think we need to see if it happens again, and carefully note all the circumstances. If we take it back to the dealer now we will just get a "no fault found" comment, so if it is a real fault we need more/better detail - and preferably repeatability.

Thanks to those who have commented so far.

Still inclined to think it is either the brake pedal not being fully depressed or there is something interfering with the pedal.

Do you have carpet mats in the car? Are they OE or third party? Are they properly secured by the hook and eyes?

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Still inclined to think it is either the brake pedal not being fully depressed or there is something interfering with the pedal.

Do you have carpet mats in the car? Are they OE or third party? Are they properly secured by the hook and eyes?

Good point. My OEM driver's mat is made of the the thinnest cheapest material known to man. It was forever riding up and fouling the pedals. It is now held down by industrial Velcro and hasn't moved in nearly a year.

Def. not the carpets - proper Toyota fitted type, and firmly attached to the plastic studs at the rear, so not in the wrong place. Don't think it is the brake pedal switch - the brake lights come on as soon as you push it lightly - however I am assuming it's the same switch for the starter interlock - seems most likely?

Waiting to see if we get a repeat now.....

my 2014 mk1 Aygo with MMT transmission will feel a little 'stiff' to start from cold sometimes as I was often putting my foot on the brake and turning the key, the starter motor will make its usual noise and I often took my foot off the brake too early for the engine to fire up. I can only think this is when its been stood cold overnight as when I've been driving it somewhere and its warmed up, she starts a lot easier.

Thanks, but doesn't apply in this instance. Our effect is as if your foot is off the brake - ie no starter motor or anything else....

One possible cause is that the car was still in drive "e" when switched off if this is the case the car will not start/crank until the car is shifted to "n"

• Like 1

yes, spotted this in some of the notes - but no, it wasn't....

is there a neutral switch on the gearbox so the car cannot be started whilst in drive

Until the OP can replicate the problem, this is like teaching a pig to suck strawberries ....

• 3 months later...

My Mum has had her 08 plate Toyota Aygo Platinum Auto for a few months now and has had this intermittent fault happen about 5 times already. She's taken it to the garage who could find no fault and once phoned roadside recovery who came and the car started perfectly (awkward!), but he checked it over aswell and also couldn't find anything wrong. It's very frustrating as she now doesn't trust the car at all. 

It does seem to just sort itself out after a period of time (as with the roadside recovery situation). It happened again today, luckily she was in Tescos so just went in and had a cup of coffee and it started when she came out again. This is obviously not ideal though.

Just wanted to let you know that your not the only one with the problem. 

I left our Auto Aygo at Heathrow for two weeks. When I came back it started immediately as if I'd only just switched it off.  Most impressed. Neat little car.

• 3 years later...

This is an old post but I know solution. It's all to do with making sure you push the gear stick over to Neutral and have your foot on brake when turning key to start. Trust me and try it, seems fiddly at first but becomes natural. That's is why there were no faults found, there aren't any!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Old post but similar problem….wife's 21 Aygo semi auto in Tesco car park when she was in R and turned car Off…later car would not shift to N, even with brake firmly applied and ignition On…..so would not start.

I went down ther and used a little more oomph to shift the car into N from R…..but that doesn’t sound, or feel right

any ideas anyone?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links