Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

90 Camry Won't Start - Service Center Gives Up

monkey1

The Toyota service center that I took my vehicle to just gave up on my car. They couldn't figure out what's wrong, and are refunding money that I spent to have the starter contacts replaced. It turns out the starter contacts were not the problem. Their master technician couldn't figure out the problem.

For the past month the car has been having trouble starting. The Battery is not the problem, but whatever the problem is, it's shorting out the Battery. You can hear a click when you turn the key, but it won't turn over. The only way to get the car going is to get a jump start. A few times after getting a jump, the car stalled out after going about 30 feet. The car also seems to stall out more often when in reverse, and when the steering wheel is turned sharply to the left.

At some point the door light on the dash was flickering and staying lit sporadically. That seems to have gone away. The "light" indicator on the dash stays lit when the car is still, regardless of whether or not it's in park, or if my foot is on the brake.

I'd like to add that the car has always had trouble starting after a heavy rain, which I believe is a problem with the distributor cap - could the other problems be related to this?

Does this sound like it could be a problem with the neutral safety switch? I brought this up to the service center, but they dismissed that as a cause of the problem.

Anyone here have a clue as to what the problem or problems are?

Not that I am an expert, but looks like your ECU is out. You might want to ask the service guys to check it out

Regards,

Gopal

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links